Field hockey exacts revenge

It seems to be the ‘in’ thing this fall. Williams teams come into preseason and sustain, or have previously enjoyed, key losses. The missing personnel render the team’s prospects uncertain, and the rest of NESCAC asks itself, ‘Will this be the year we knock off Williams?’

In field hockey, the answer has been a resounding no.

Behind new sophomore goalie sensation Monelle Quevillon’s third shutout, a 2-0 revenge trip against Wesleyan, the Ephs have rocketed to 4-0 and the top spot in the NESCAC standings.

“We just wanted to come out strong,” said Quevillon, who made the transition from the ice of Lansing-Chapman rink to the grass of Cole Field this fall. “They beat us last year, and it was our first step towards the Little Three and we really wanted it.”

When asked about her transition, Quevillon dispelled any notion that it had been difficult. As if her three shutouts already hadn’t. “The sport is a little different, but it’s pretty much the same thing. I need to stop the ball instead of stopping the puck. It’s a nice shift.”

The Wesleyan Cardinals fared little better than previous Eph victims, despite the added tension of a Little Three match. Tori Scott ’04 ended a tense, scoreless first half when with 31 seconds remaining she put a Stephanie Noering ’03 pass into the back of the net. Allison Stepp ’01 sealed the victory in the second half, beating Wesleyan goalkeeper Lindsay Wasserman on a ball from Molly Jennings ’04.

The win over Wesleyan highlighted the gritty play and strong chemistry of the field hockey squad.”

The win gave Williams an edge in Little Three play, but the real importance of the game was its value in the NESCAC standings.

“[Wesleyan is] a very strong team. We’ve been connecting as a team, really using each other and passing very well,” said co-captain Sarah Commito ’01. The real battle, she implied, is for the right to host the NESCAC tournament. The Ephs have positioned themselves as well as possible, though they remain wary of strong teams at Amherst and Connecticut College. “We definitely have a chance of winning the NESCAC tournament. That’s our goal as a team is to win [the regular season] and host.”

“We just take it one step at a time and try not to focus too much on the games that are in the future.”

Last week, the Ephs extended their record to 3-0 when they took Smith down decisively, 5-1. Quevillon gave up her only goal of the season on a Smith penalty stroke, and the Ephs briefly trailed for the first time. In an unbelievable display of offense, Noering put in four unanswered first half goals, burying Smith single-handedly. Lyssa Castonguay ’01 netted three assists on Noering’s goals, and Jennings assisted the other. Ann Schorling ’03 put the fifth and final goal home in the second half off of a Heather Kallus ’03 assist.

Noering leads all scorers with 10 points. Scott is second with seven, including three goals. The Ephs take the field again on Thursday when they journey to Union College.