Log, Goodrich feature new activities, increased management interaction

This year, the committees representing Goodrich Hall and the Log are working together in an attempt to ensure a balance of consistency and variety in the events at each venue.

According to the two committees, the locations are the ideal complements to one another, giving students a broad range of social opportunities. They plan to stay in close communication with one another, which they have not done in the past, to ensure that planned events do not conflict.

“The more we work together, the more we benefit the students as a whole,” said James Moorhead ’01, co-chair of the Log committee.

The two committees hope that people can move from Goodrich to the Log, or vice versa, to study, socialize, listen to music, see a performance, watch television, or enjoy food and drink.

“I think that the two social spaces are going to work like clockwork this year,” said Chabeth Haynes ’02, scheduling manager for Goodrich. Haynes runs the building with Josh Easter ’01, its facilities manager.

The Goodrich Committee hopes to enhance the building’s “coffee house” atmosphere by adding magazines and moving lounge chairs and sofas into the Great Room. A new lighting and sound system are to be installed in the near future.

“We are trying to make the building a more inviting place for students in terms of the social and academic capacity that the campus would like Goodrich to fulfill,” Haynes said.

Goodrich is unique in that its Great Room is open all day for quiet studying and relaxing but also houses events – DJ battles, poetry shows and even comedy readings are in the works for the coming year. It also will host movies and TV, and students can go to Goodrich every Sunday at 8 p.m. to see “The Simpsons.”

The Log balances out Goodrich’s more low-key social scene. The Log provides an active social outlet on Wednesday through Saturday nights from 7 p.m. to 1 a.m.

The Log has a long tradition at Williams of providing students with a good time. In the ’70s, it was voted the best college bar in the country. While it is best known for its Thursday night DJ dance, the Log serves a wide range of interests on the four nights a week that it is currently open.

On a Wednesday night, students can go to the Log to watch TV, have a few drinks, eat food and enjoy free soda. The three rooms make it ideal for different activities to occur simultaneously. Friday nights often feature a band or singing group.

“By hosting different bands – rock bands, folk bands, jazz bands – we appeal to the entire campus, the broadest mix of people,” says Moorhead.

This year, the management of the Log, headed by co-chairs Moorhead and Melissa Vecchio ’01, hopes that the wide variety of interests to which the Log caters will attract the entire student body. They see it as an ideal location for drawing together students of different class years and interests.

Members of the committee are currently planning ways to expand the uses of the building. Grey Maggiano ’03 is working on a project that will encourage the use of the building for both youth and professors to facilitate learning outside of the classroom.

This plan will turn the Log into a place where youth involved in the Big Brothers/Big Sisters program can come with their mentor and enjoy the space as an alternative to dorm rooms. It would also encourage professors to come, with or without their children, to spend time with students and engage in discussion, both academic and social.

Vecchio is also currently working to move professors into the space to use it for office hours and discussions.

The success of the new community-oriented programs depends on how the students use the Log. The management hopes that students will see the wide range of interests that the Log facilitates and that they will take advantage of all it has to offer.

If they do, the hours that the Log is open will be increased, and it would be open in the afternoons as well for students and professors to go after classes. The expansion of hours is also dependent on the addition of a card reader, which would minimize the amount of supervision necessary to keep the Log open.

Hillary Ley ’01 is also spearheading a project to encourage clubs and groups to make more extensive use of the Log. The goal of the project is to have clubs use the space on Saturday nights by scheduling events through Rich Kelly, activities director for the College, and the Student Activities Office.