Williams earns single at-large NCAA bid

After defeating Conn College 16-9 on Friday, the Williams women’s lacrosse team was able to secure a bid to the NCAA Tournament. It finished the regular season 11-1 overall, 7-1 in NESCAC, after defeating the Connecticut College Camels by a score of 16-9.

“Conn College is a good team,” Williams’ head coach Chris Mason said in response to the game. “They’ve had an up and down season but they’ve beaten some good teams, and they only lost to Middlebury by four goals. They gave us a lot of pressure and played well offensively. We played pretty well offensively, and defensively we played much better in the second half. We started making more checks and more double teams as the game went on.”

Eph senior co-captain Cara Shortsleeve, recently named NESCAC player of the year, led the Ephs with five goals and four assists. Caitlin Ritchie ’00 and Kathryn Doherty ’03 also tallied four goals each. Also scoring for the Ephs were Heather Black ’02 (2) and Kristen Sullivan ’01. Black (3), Sam Daigenault ’00 (2), Doherty (2) and senior tri-captain Robin Severud got assists on the day.

Williams had a 9-6 lead at halftime as the result of a 5-2 run just before the end of the half. The Ephs then scored four unanswered goals at the end of the second half, bringing the score to 7-3 on the half and 16-9 for the game. Eph goalie Abi Jackson ’03, named to Second Team NESCAC, made 11 saves in net.

Courtesy of their national ranking of fourth and earlier win over Amherst, the Ephs recieved the nation’s only at-large bid for the NCAA Division III Women’s Lacrosse Tournament. They last advanced there two years ago, when they lost to the College of New Jersey 12-11 in overtime.The team will host Wellesley this Wednesday at 4 p.m. at Cole Field.