Men’s lacrosse to host Bates in ECACs

After losing two games last week to fellow NESCAC teams Middlebury (11-1) and Amherst (3-7), the men’s lacrosse team recovered this week to defeat Skidmore on the road and Union at home. Williams finished the regular season 9-4.

The final game of the regular season ended in the first road victory of the season. The Ephs defeated the Skidmore Thoroughbreds 19-16; it was the Ephs’ highest scoring game, setting a Skidmore record for combined goals in a game. The seniors arrived in force against Skidmore, scoring 18 of the 19 goals.

John Moorhead ’00 scored eight goals; close behind was Nick Weisser ’00. Also scoring for Williams were Geoff Cohane ’00 and Graham Davidson ’01; Scott Goldberg ’02had three assists while Rob Adamo ‘’01 had two.

The Thoroughbreds led 6-4 at the end of the first period, but the Ephs managed to secure a one-goal lead at the half and continued to dominate for the rest of the game.

“Lacrosse is a momentum sport,”said John Moorhead,”the #10 team can beat the #1 team on any given day, and there are rarely undefeated seasons because of this fact. Skidmore was a big win for our team’s momentum. We regained some of the spirit and excitement that we had lost after Amherst.”

On Tuesday, the Ephs broke their two game losing streak with an 18-10 victory over Union College in the Purple Valley. Weisser and co-captains Moorhead and Nick Martinelli ’00 were the high scorers for the Ephs, scoring 13 of the 18 Williams goals.

“When Weisser, Martinelli and Moorhead play together on offense, they do a great job. This was not the case against Amherst on Saturday,” noted Williams head coach Renzie Lamb. Despite Union’s Russell Kerbel opening the scoring at 8:47, the Ephs scored two goals (one by Martinelli and one by Weisser) in the next minute and a half of the game.

Dutchman Nicholas Balascio tied the game at two with a goal assisted by Kurt Kimball with 3:27 remaining in the period, but Martinelli scored a goal unassisted for the Ephs with 0:56 left to give the Ephs a 3-2 lead after the period.

Jamie Moorhead ’01 had several key plays for Williams during the first period as well. Dominating the second and third periods, the Ephs outscored the Dutchman 9-3. Beginning at the end of the second period, the Ephs scored seven unanswered goals, three by John Moorhead and two by Goldberg.

In the fourth period, Union managed to score three goals in the opening four minutes, as Eph goalie Mike Buscher ’03 had the sun in his eyes.

John Moorhead, Martinelli and Blair Bartlett ’03 all scored in the fourth period, with Moorhead scoring twice. Both Union and Williams managed to score twice more in the period (both Ephs goals were scored by Weisser).

The Dutchmen were never able to shake the Eph offense that had taken control in the first half. Lamb praised the play of Buscher in goal; senior Matt Gunther came into goal for the Ephs with 3:05 remaining and allowed one goal and had four saves

“We played with emotion,” said Lamb.

This was evident in the number of shots taken by the Ephs; they outshot Union 47-23. Buscher had 10 saves in goal for the Ephs; sophomore Patrick Forrest stopped 12 Eph shots in net for the Dutchmen.

John Moorhead finished the season as the team’s highest scorer with 47 goals and 55 points. Weisser was second with 40 goals and 11 assists, giving him 51 points; Adamo led the team in assists with 36 and tallied a total of 44 points.

The Ephs will now compete in the ECAC-New England Men’s Lacrosse Tournament, which they won last year. They will host Bates (9-6) at 4 p.m. tomorrow at Cole Field.

“We have the players to win it again this year.” said Weisser,” It’s just a matter of firing on all cylinders at the same time.”