Jaffe to run, fight cancer

Andrew Jaffe, part-time music lecturer, is participating in the “Relay for Life,” in which he will run for 24 hours straight and probably over 100 miles. Jaffe is currently raising money for the race and hopes to receive pledges from Williams students. The proceeds of the race will go to the American Cancer Society (ACS) for cancer research and education.

This will be the third time in the past three years that Jaffe has entered the race as a one-man team. The rules require that one member of each team be on the track at all times, so Jaffe will be doing his fair share of running. “I began doing this by being on a team, but two years ago I lost four very close musician friends to cancer, two in their 40s, and one, bassist Eddie Jones, formerly with Count Basie’s band, who had been to Williams to adjudicate our jazz festival a few years ago. So these losses motivated me to attempt the entire 24-hour run myself.” Jaffe ran again last year, dedicating the race to a cancer-stricken neighbor who died shortly thereafter.

Jaffe is no stranger to long-distance running. Twenty years ago, he was a nationally ranked “ultramarathoner” in both the 50-mile and 24-hour categories. Today, Jaffe can still run over 100 miles in less than 24 hours as he has done in the “Relay for Life” the past two years.

This past fall, Jaffe’s mother lost her battle with cancer, inspiring him to run yet again. He asks that anyone interested in pledging money please make a check out to “ACS” with “Relay for Life: Andrew Jaffe” in the notes. The race is being held in Greenfield on June 2 and 3, so Jaffe would appreciate receiving any donations before Memorial Day.