College Bowl Team takes third at national tournament

The Williams College Bowl Team placed third in the College Bowl International (CBI) held at Bentley College in Waltham, Mass April 28-30. The team, composed of Joel Iams ’01, Lydia Haile ’02, Sergio Espinosa ’02 and David Rosenblum ’03, went 11-4 in round-robin play and was barely edged out by the University of Michigan and the University of Arkansas for a place in the championship game. Michigan went on to win the national title.

The 16 participating teams came from across the country, including such far-flung competitors as the University of Chicago and the University of Alaska-Fairbanks.

Universities and undergraduate colleges compete together, although universities are limited to only one graduate student per team. Williams was one of only three undergraduate institutions this year.

Williams qualified for nationals by winning the Division I regionals in February, defeating the likes of Harvard, Dartmouth, Middlebury and Amherst. The team also qualified for CBI nationals last season, but it was disqualified for procedural reasons.

At this year’s championships, Williams was the second-highest scoring team with 4030 points in its 15 games. Only Michigan scored more points, ending the round-robin with 4855.

Iams was the second-highest individual scorer from the entire field and was named to the East All-Star team. The team was coached by David Boyer, Assistant Director of Security.

CBI games are composed of timed halves where moderators ask team members a series of toss-up questions. Teams earn bonus questions when they answer toss-ups correctly. Categories ran the gamut of academic and popular knowledge, ranging in subject from Greek mythology to astrophysics to sports to spelling questions.

“We performed pretty well at the tournament, considering we were one of the few teams without graduate students,” Haile said. “We look forward to going back next year and, hopefully, winning the whole thing.”

Williams has had a busy and successful season this year, playing at several tournaments in Boston and running two of its own tournaments this semester. Williams also played in the NAQT quiz tournament nationals in early April.