Baseball finishes with wins over MCLA and Middlebury

Would the Ephs have enough pitching to win this season? Without a doubt.

The Williams baseball team ended an erratic season with a spectacular week, splitting two games with the Mohawks of MCLA and then taking a doubleheader from Middlebury, highlighted by unparalleled success on the pitcher’s mound.

The two early games against MCLA featured strong pitching performances by the Ephs. In the first game, Williams won 4-0 on the strength of a complete game, three-hit gem by Adam Mancinone ’02.

Mancinone struck out nine Mohawks en route to his shutout. A two-run, first inning single by Billy Casolo ’02 provided all of the runs the Ephs would need.

Dave Carrillo ’00 also contributed, icing the win with a solo home run in the ninth inning.

The next day turned into a wild 3-2 Mohawk win at Williams, despite another strong Eph pitching performance. Joe Steinberg ’01 pitched a complete game for Williams, striking out seven and surrendering only three hits in nine innings. He also did not surrender a single earned run.

For the two games, the Ephs gave up a total of six hits and no earned runs. Williams scored early, driving in a run in the first.

Carrillo doubled and then scored on an MCLA error. In the fifth, Casolo doubled to start the inning. Austin Lehn ’03 reached on a fielder’s choice, then, after moving over to third, scored on a squeeze by Matt Casey ’03.

From then on, though, the day belonged to MCLA. With two out in the seventh, MCLA got a runner on via error, then Steinberg surrendered a home run. In the eighth, MCLA scored again off of a Williams error to bring home the win.

In its final two games of the season, the baseball team again used a pair of tremendous pitching efforts to win a doubleheader against the visiting Middlebury Panthers. Mancinone pitched another great game in the opener, winning 4-1. His second complete game in a row was a four-hit, four-strikeout performance. In his last two appearances, he was 2-0 with seven hits and an ERA of 0.00, with two complete games.

Lehn became the Ephs’ offense in game one, finishing 2-3 with four RBIs, a three-run home run in the second inning, and an RBI double in the sixth. Norm Liversidge ’00 collected a hit in the final at-bat of his career, ending the day 2-3 and scoring a run.

In the nightcap, Williams hung a 12-0 score on the Panthers to close out the season. Joe Steinberg ’01, who pitched well all year, threw a two-hit shutout. He tossed seven strikeouts against only a single walk. In his final two appearances, Steinberg went 1-1, but had an ERA of 0.00, gave up only five hits, and struck out 14.

Williams went after Middlebury starter Devon O’Neil early and often. In the first inning, Williams scored four runs, then added two more in the second, five in the third and one more in the fourth.

The Ephs got two-hit performances from Casolo, who hit two doubles, Tim Albrecht ’01, who drove in two runs, Eric Fagan ’02 and Mike Shipley ’02. Carrillo and Mike Paolercio ’00 each had a hit in the final at-bats of their respective careers.

Williams’ 18-11 record makes seven consecutive winning seasons. Unfortunately, tough competition prevented their return to the NCAA Tournament, but they return a tough, young, talented team next season.