Men’s track second at NESCACs

The Williams men’s track team competed in the NESCAC championships last weekend at Tufts. The two-day meet at Dussault Track was full of strong performances by the Ephs, but, in the end, Williams finished second to Bates College, losing the team championship for the first time since 1992.

Saturday was a big day for Williams, as the Ephs were strong in most of the first day’s events. Tri-captain Jason Mirach ’01 continued his mastery of New England opponents in the triple jump, winning with a jump of 46’ 10.25″. Mirach’s leap was good enough to qualify him provisionally for NCAAs and beat the second place jump by over two feet.

Manny Benjamin ’01 also scored for the Ephs in the triple, placing third with a jump of 44’ 2.75″.

The Williams throwers also weighed in with big contributions in the discus and shot put. Tri-captain Bob Blackstone ’00 came up with third place in the discus by throwing 135’ 9″. Dave Fontes ’02 took seventh place with a throw of 123’ 9″.

Williams also scored big points in the shot put, led by first-year Trey Wright. Wright won the event with a throw of 49’ 4.25″, followed by Fontes’ second-place throw of 47’ 11″. Both throwers set new personal bests in sweeping the top two spots. After setting a new personal best of his own in the discus, Blackstone held down sixth place in the shot put as well with a 46’ 4.25″ heave.

The track events were relatively quiet on Saturday, as most of the events were just preliminaries before Sunday’s finals. However, the Ephs scored in both the distance medley relay and the 10,000 meter run. The DMR team of juniors Reed Harlow, Tim Campbell, Andrew Deichman and first-year Chris Garvin combined to run 10:22 for fifth place. In the 10,000 meter run, Dusty Lopez ’01 finished third in a time of 31:46.

Going into Sunday, the Ephs were in first place in the team standings, seven points ahead of Bates, and the Eph athletes did their best to hold the lead, coming up with good finishes in several events. Mirach came back to capture the long jump title and become Williams’ only double champion by jumping 21’10.75″.

Matt Brothers ’02 also picked up a point for the Ephs, finishing eighth with a jump of 19’ 4.25″. The 4×100 meter relay team of seniors Jon Pearson, tri-captain John Berry and juniors Chido Alozie and Mike Schloat brought home another first-place finish with their time of 42.41. After qualifying on Saturday, Schloat also ran the 200-meter dash finals on Sunday in 22.81, taking fourth place.

Valentin von Armin ’02 ran 11.51 in the finals of his race, the 100 meter dash, and placed seventh. In the 400 meter dash, Mike Sheehan ’03 ran 49.83 to place fifth. In the 400 meter hurdles, Ed Rossier ’01 finished second in a time of 55.35, followed by Deichman in seventh with a time of 58.86.

The Sunday throwing events featured Matt Campanelli 00’s toss of 170’ 8″, good for third place finish in the hammer throw, and Matt Holland ’02 taking fourth in the javelin with a distance of 160’ 4″.

The highlight of the Sunday distance races was Wes Reutimann ’02’s third place finish in the 5,000 meter run. Reutimann’s time of 15:05 was a new personal best. Andy Golden ’03 also ran well in the 5,000, finishing seventh in 15:27.

Campbell doubled back from the DMR on Saturday to take fifth place in the 1,500 meter run in 4:00. Karl Remsen ’03 ran 9:39 in the 3,000 meter steeplechase, good enough for fourth place.

Despite the loss, coach Pete Farwell was pleased with his athletes’ effort over the weekend, commenting, “We had terrific performances, but were just edged by Bates in a few events. The conference is very tough this year, with lots of NCAA qualifiers, and Bates just had an incredible team meet.”

Next up for the Ephmen is the New England Division III championship this weekend at Springfield.