Men’s lacrosse loses to Middlebury, Amherst

After dropping two spots from 11th to 13th in the national poll on April 24, the men’s lacrosse team had a rough week, losing to Middlebury and Amherst this week, both away games. The Ephs are now 7-4, with all four losses coming from away games.

On Saturday, behind the power of rookie Tucker Sowers, the Lord Jeffs of Amherst gave Williams its second loss in a row, its fourth of the season. Amherst defeated Williams 9-7. With this victory, the Lord Jeffs improved to 3-7; Sowers scored three goals for Amherst.

Amherst took an early 3-0 lead before Williams could muster an offensive attack.

Goals by senior Geoff Cohane and junior Graham Davidson (both unassisted) brought the Ephs within one, 3-2. After two Amherst goals, senior Nick Weisser and Davidson each scored within one minute, and Cohane scored again later on.

With the score even at five, Amherst scored four unanswered goals to take the lead for good. Senior co-captain John Moorhead scored two goals 37 seconds apart, with assists from seniors Nick Martinelli (also co-captain) and Weisser, but the Ephs could rally no further.

Williams suffered its third loss of the season on Wednesday to Middlebury, who is currently fourth in the national poll; the final score of the game was 18-10. Middlebury improved its record to 9-1 with a win streak of 8. The Panthers have beaten five NESCAC teams, including Bowdoin, who defeated the Ephs in March.

Moorhead scored the first goal of the game, assisted by Weisser, but Middlebury was able to come back and secure a 6-2 lead at the end of the first period.

The Ephs matched Middlebury goals in the second and third periods (three in the second and four in the third for each team) and seized two man-up goals in the second period.

However, even scoring three of the first five goals in the third period, the Ephs’ one goal in the fourth period was hardly a match for the Panthers’ five.

Leading the Ephs in goals were Moorhead (co-captain), who scored four goals, and fellow senior Andy Jones who netted two.

Williams was four for six on extra-man opportunities and won 17 face-offs out of 32. First-year Mike Buscher had 18 saves for the Ephs; Middlebury’s senior goalie Dave Campbell had nine stops.

The Ephs will try to recover this week with two games. Today they will receive Union at home at 4:15 p.m.; the team has won all games played at Cole Field.

Thursday, they will travel to Skidmore for a 7 p.m. make-up game (their scheduled game of April 12 was rained out).