Little III Eph Baseball Action

Williams College baseball had a tough week, winning the first game but dropping the weekend series to a tough Amherst ballclub.

The Ephs rebounded strongly from their wekend series with Wesleyan, posting an 8-5 win over Union on Tuesday. Joe Steinberg ’01 started for Williams, striking out two in four and two-thirds innings. The Ephs struck first, scoring in the fourth inning. Union came back to score two in the fifth.

Adam Mancinone ’02 came in to pitch three and a third innings of relief, earning the win. Ben Hamm ’03 pitched the final inning for the save.

Trailing 2-1, the Ephs scored six runs to take a commanding 7-2 lead and doom the Union effort. Tim Albrecht ’01 went 3-4, scoring two runs, hitting two doubles, and drawing a walk. Tri-captain Mike Paolercio ’00 also had three hits in four at bats, scoring twice and driving in two runs. Billy Casolo ’02 had two RBIs on a 2-5 performance.

The Ephs traveled to Amherst on Saturday to face their rival Lord Jeffs, but found an unfriendly reception. In the doubleheader, the Jeffs handed Williams two tough losses, 8-2 and 3-2.

Game one was close most of the way, with Steinberg pitching against Amherst’s ace, Kevin Downes. The Jeffs took a 2-1 lead into the fifth inning, where they sent 10 men up and scored six runs.

Bobby Coppolla ’03 came in to relieve Steinberg, who took the loss, in the fifth and pitched a scoreless sixth inning. Mike Shipley ’02 and Dave Carrillo ’00 each had an RBI for Williams, and Carillo had a double. Downes held the Eph hitters to five hits.

The second game featured two pitchers going the distance, as Mancinone dueled with Dave Krauser of Amherst.

The Jeffs led 3-0 going into the top of the sixth. Carillo and Casolo each knocked in a run as Williams rallied to within one, 3-2.

In the top of the seventh, Lex Evivriades ’01 doubled with one down, but a ground out and a sliding catch by Amherst stranded him.

The next day, the Lord Jeffs came to Bobby Coombs field looking for their third win of the weekend. Knocking Williams’ starter Hamm out in the first inning, the Jeffs took an early 2-0 lead. Coppolla came on for the Ephs, and held Amherst scoreless until surrndering a run in the sixth. In the bottom of the first, Paolercio scored on an error.

Then Mark Scialabba ’02 hit a third inning home run to tie the game at two. The Jeffs proceeded to score a run in the sixth and four runs off of Coppolla in the final two innings to win.

Amherst seemed poised to score even more in the ninth, but Mark Daoust ’01 came on with one out with a runner on to face Hugh Quattlebaum, Amherst’s best hitter. Quattlebaum hit the ball down the line, but great Eph defense saved a double. After Daoust tagged out the runner going third, he rifled the ball to second in an effort to throw out the advancing Quattlebaum.

“I knew that ball was going into right field as soon as I threw it,” said Daoust. Fortunately, his throw was right on target and Amherst was retired.

The Ephs rallied in the ninth, with Eric Fagan ’02 scoring on an Amherst error. That would be the last Eph run though, as they lost a tough game 7-3.

Baseball plays at the Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts today at 3:30 p.m.