Ephwomen rebound with 8-1 win over TCNJ

The Williams women’s tennis team rebounded from last week’s loss to Amherst, defeating the College of New Jersey 8-1 to improve to 14-1 on the year.

The Ephs swept all singles matches, as Caroline Wasserman ’03 won at #1 6-2 6-2 while co-captain Sarah Marks ’00 won at #2 6-1, 6-1.

#3 Selma Kikic defeated her TCNJ opponent 6-1, 6-2 while Tracy Cheung ’03 won at #4 6-1, 6-0. #5 Alison Swain won 6-1, 6-4. Tina Howe ’03 completed the sweep with a win at #6 6-1, 6-2.

The Ephs’ only loss of the day came at #1 doubles, where the team of Marks and Cheung lost 8-1. Wasserman and Swain won at #2 doubles 8-4 while Kikic and Steele Thomas ’02 won at #3 doubles 8-2.

”I was very confident that the team would have a good showing on Saturday,” said coach Julie Greenwood. “We talked through a lot of things after the Amherst match and the girls were as intense and focused as they have been all season in practice. It felt good to come back so strong.”

Greenwood felt the team had been “coasting along” before to the 6-3 Amherst loss and the loss forced them to think about what they wanted to accomplish this season and what they would have to do to get there. She also felt that one of the team’s problems in the Amherst match was that it “didn’t have as many oncourt leaders as it should have given their talent.”

Greenwood notes that after the loss, the team talked about each individual’s commitment to the team as well as the need for each team member to be a leader.

The Ephs complete the regular season tomorrow when they travel to Harvard for a 3:30 match. They will most likely hold a regional tournament May 12-13. If they win there, they will move on to the eight-team final at Gustavus Adolphus College (MN), where they hope to “end on top,” in Greenwood’s words.

Despite the loss to Amherst last week, the team feels it can come back and beat Amherst in the postseason and win the national championship.

“I have no doubt that we will play a great match when and if we meet Amherst again,”said Greenwood.” The loss was extremely productive for us; the team is as together as it has been all season and I think our confidence and motivation are also at a season high.”