Women’s track easily wins Little III Championship

Made up of Williams College, Amherst College and Wesleyan University, the Little Three is an organization of ancient rivals whose competitions are as heated now as they were nearly two hundred years ago.

In a tradition of their own, the Williams women’s track and field team today won its 15th consecutive Little Three title, not only beating its rivals but the cold, wet conditions at Wesleyan as well. The team scores were: Williams (167), Wesleyan (111), Amherst (109).

The day belonged to Williams both in the running events and the field events. The throwing trio of co-captain Rebecca Brooks ’00, Healy Thompson ’03 and Diane Williams ’02 dominated their events, sweeping the top three places in the shot put (in that order) and in the hammer as well, (with Brooks first, Williams second and Thompson third). Brooks’ winning mark in the shot (46’ 7.25”) is the leading throw in the nation.

With Williams also taking first in the discus throw and Thompson winning the javelin, all four throwing events were won by a Williams athlete. In another field event sweep, the Ephwomen pole vaulters took the top three spots, with Rachel Horwitz ’03 leading the way, followed by Melissa Purdy ’02 and Juliana Connolly ’01.

The running events proved to be just as valuable for the Ephwomen. The 800m run saw three Williams women finish ahead of the rest of the field, led by Katie Worth ’02 (2:17.33). Worth was followed by Jen Hahn ’01 and Teri O’Brien ’02. Williams athletes captured first and second in two other races, the 400m and the 3000m. Colleen Doody ’03, a national qualifier, won the 400m in 57.69.

Not far behind was her teammate, Janna Rearick ’02, who ran a personal best 59.03 for second place. In the 3000m run, co-captain Tara Crowley ’00 led for all but the final lap of the race before Lauren Krisko ’00 sped by her to win in 10:22.89. Jonnie Vasse ’02 was the Ephs’ only other individual champion, winning the 5000m in an NCAA provisional qualifying time of 18:00.37.

Both Eph relay teams were victorious at Wesleyan, despite the dreary weather and intense competition. The 4x100m team of Rearick, Doody, co-captain Melissa Murphy ’00 and Catherine Denver ’03 tore around the oval in 51.22 seconds to win.

In the last event of the meet Murphy, Rearick, Worth and Doody ran a season best time of 4:00.62 to win by a huge margin and put an exclamation mark on the stellar meet.

The championship season kicks into high gear next weekend with the New England Small College Athletic Conference championships, slated for April 29th and 30th at Tufts University. The women from Williamstown won this meet last year, edging the Panthers of Middlebury by four points.