Women’s lacrosse routs Wesleyan, Union

The Williams women’s lacrosse team defeated Wesleyan and Union last week to remain undefeated on the year. The team is now 9-0 overall, with a 5-0 NESCAC record.

On Saturday, six goals from senior captain Cara Shortsleeve helped the Ephs rout Wesleyan 19-2. “We’re very happy with the result,” said Williams head coach Chris Mason in response to the game, “we’ve been working hard on pressing and winning the ball in our offensive end. We’ve been doing a good job of double-teaming in the midfield, and our defense has been tough and stingy. Hopefully we can keep this up through next week, when we take on Middlebury and Amherst.”

The Ephs came out strong, earning a 5-0 lead before Wesleyan got their first goal. Williams then scored seven straight goals before halftime to stake out a 12-1 lead at the break. The Ephs were dominant in the second half as well, scoring seven goals to Wesleyan’s one. In all, nine different Ephs scored in this game, with Caitlin Ritchie ’00 scoring five goals and Kristen Sullivan ’01 scoring two. Jennifer Ashkenazi ’03, Heather Black ’02, Sam Daigneault ’00, Michelle Kovacs ’01, CJ Navins ’01 and Stefanie Noering ’03 all scored goals as well. Shortsleeve (3), Ritchie (2), Sullivan (2), Black, Daigneault and Kathryn Doherty ’03 all got assists on the day as well.

Splitting goalkeeping duties for Williams were first-year Abigail Jackson, who played 45 minutes and had ten saves, and sophomore Joanna Pons, who played 15 minutes and had two saves.

Last Tuesday, the Williams College women’s lacrosse team was victorious as well, defeating the Union College Dutchwomen by a score of 17-5. The teams played each other closely in the first half, with Williams holding a narrow 6-3 lead over Union at the half. In the second, though, the Ephs asserted their dominance, scoring 11 goals to Wesleyan’s two to earn the 17-5 win. Senior captain Robin Severud tallied four goals and an assist. Ritchie got four goals as well, while Shortsleeve got three and Sullivan two. Doherty, Black, Kovacs and Navins also scored for the Ephs, with Ashkenazi and Daigneault getting assists for the Ephs.

In goal for the Ephs was first-year Abigail Jackson, who faced 13 shots and made 8 saves. Williams took 28 shots on the day.

The Ephs have a big week ahead of them. On Wednesday, they travel to Middlebury and face the Panthers , ranked second nationally in Division III, at 4:15 p.m. They conclude a tough week with a Saturday match at third-ranked Amherst at 2 p.m.