Williams baseball defeats Springfield

Like their major league counterparts in Boston, the Williams College baseball team suffered through a rain-shortened schedule last week. When they did take the field, however, the only suffering on the field belonged to their opponents.

The weather forced Williams to postpone the scheduled game against Westfield State until Thursday and cancelled their Saturday doubleheader with Trinity altogether. Despite the storms, Williams took the field on Wednesday against Springfield College. Improving to 13-7, the Ephs defeated Springfield 8-4.

Trailing 2-0 in the third inning, the Ephs scored three and never looked back. Co-Captains Dave Carrillo ’00 and Mike Paolercio ’00 both went 2-5; Carillo scored twice while Paolercio scored and drove in a run. Matt Starkey ’02 started for the first time, catching the game and scoring twice to accompany his two hits.

Tim Albrecht ’01 played designated hitter, finishing with two hits (including a double), two runs batted in and a run scored. Joe Steinberg ’01 pitched four innings. Bobby Coppola ’03 relieved him, pitching 3 1/3 innings, before giving way to Adam Mancinone ’02, who finished the game. Coppola picked up the win and Mancinone earned the save.

The next game brought Westfield State (10-17) to Williams. The Ephs played well, defeating Westfield State 4-0 for their 14th win.

Ben Hamm ’03 started the game for Williams, pitching five innings of four-hit baseball, walking only one and striking out two Owls. Mancinone then came into the game, serving up another strong performance, allowing one hit and striking out three for the save. Albrecht contributed a sixth-inning home run, while Billy Casolo ’02 added two hits and Eric Fagan ’02 a double. Both Casolo and Fagan drove in a run.

The Ephs will bring the momentum of two wins into a very important week. Union comes to town today at 3:30 p.m. and on Saturday, they travel to Amherst for a doubleheader at 1 p.m.

On Sunday, the Lord Jeffs come north for a 1 p.m. game on Bobby Coombs Field.