Sailing wins Little Three regatta

After a slow start to the season overshadowed by cold weather and snow, Williams College sailing pulled it together for its first big championship weekend. Williams hosted the Little Three Championships Saturday on Lake Pontoosic in overcast weather and great wind.

First-year Zack O’Brian took command of the Williams A Division boat with Eric Kerns ’03 winning three out of the six races sailed.

Williams captain Brad Nichol ’02 had a good day at the helm of the team’s B Division boat with Maggie Burr ’02 improving throughout the day to win the last race and take third in the regatta behind Peter Beardsley and Nedine Krupinski of Amherst.

The day was marked by tight racing between Williams and Amherst but skippers O’Brian and Nichol used their knowledge of the home waters to shut down Amherst in the last three races. At the end of the day, Williams was victorious with 28 points, followed by Amherst with 33 and Wesleyan with 65. Next year, the regatta will move to Wesleyan in the hopes of creating more interest in sailing at the university.

The sailing Ephwomen headed to Boston this weekend to race in the Reed Trophy, New England Women’s Championships hosted by Harvard and MIT. The Reed Trophy drew 18 teams from New England including seven of the top 15 teams in the country.

The first day was marked by the cold weather, heavy rain and high wind that shut down Logan International Airport, but the Ephwomen toughed it out.

The first-year duo of Meredith Jacob and Diane Bennett started off the first day slowly in the A Division, as they grew accustomed to the large field, but they managed a fourth place before the day was out.

Bekah Levine ’03 took the helm for the first time in a major regatta with her crew Nicole Humick ’03. The combination of Levine and Humick was a little light to control the boats in the rough conditions on the Charles River, but the girls helped the team to 14th place after the first day.

The girls returned Sunday to light shifty winds on the Charles in a cold drizzle that persisted the whole day. Eight races were sailed to complete the regatta.

The team of Jacob and Bennett, who thrive in rough conditions, were unable to improve on Saturday’s results dropping to 14th.

In the B Division, Levine and Humick finessed the boat through the light shift air notching a couple of top ten results but were unable to improve on Saturday’s finish.

The Ephwomen finished the weekend in 15th.

Next weekend, the team has a busy schedule as they head to the University of Southern Maine for the New England Dingy Tournament, to Amherst for the Western Massachusetts Championships and to Boston College. where they will sail in the fifth race of the New England spring series.

If the Ephs pull out a top four finish in Maine, they will qualify for the New England Co-ed Championships hosted by Dartmouth College May 6-7.