New director of admissions search put off until next year

The College has decided to postpone its search for a new director of admissions until next year.

According to Provost Catharine Hill, chair of the search committee, the process has been postponed so that the new president of the College, Morton Schapiro, can be involved when he arrives on campus next year.

“The new president will be very active in strategic planning in the College,” said Interim Director of Admissions Richard Nesbitt. “He would have a interest in admissions and financial aid, so he should have a say in who is the next director of admissions.”

Hill said, “We decided to postpone the search quite a while ago, so basically the search had hardly begun. We had placed advertisements, but postponed the search before the closing date for applications.”

Nesbitt will continue as interim director of admissions for the next year, a position he has held since former Director of Admissions Tom Parker left to take the same job at Amherst College.

According to Nesbitt, the search process for a new director of admissions originally was to take two years. With the positions of president, deans of the college and faculty and director of athletics all turning over at the end of this year, the College “didn’t want to be replacing everyone all at once,” he said. Some members of the senior staff wished to accelerate the process and pushed for the job description to be posted and advertised this January, according to Nesbitt. When Williams named Schapiro as its 16th president, Nesbitt said, the search committee decided to go back to the original plan of waiting another year to decide on the director of admissions.

“No one had looked at any of the applications yet,” said Nesbitt, who submitted his own application for the job. “It wasn’t a question of strength of the applications.”

The search process will resume next year on a timetable similar to the one begun this year, according to Hill. “Since most of the candidates will be people involved in admissions, we want to hold interviews at a time that is possible for them,” she said. “In that case, we will make an appointment sometime next spring.”

Hill described the goal of the search committee: “We will be doing a national search, looking for the strongest candidate.”