Men’s track handily defeats Little III competition

Last Saturday at the Little Three track meet, the Williams men’s track team renewed its oldest rivalries, taking on Amherst and Wesleyan. This year it was Wesleyan’s turn to host, but the venue had no impact on the outcome of the meet as neither the Lord Jeffs nor the Cardinals could mount a serious threat to the traditional Eph dominance. For the twelfth year in a row, the Ephs captured the championship, scoring 170 points to Amherst’s 128 and Wesleyan’s 93. Cold, rainy conditions didn’t affect the Williams athletes either, as they cranked out plenty of strong times and performances.

A highlight of the meet came early in the 3000 meter steeplechase. Tim Campbell ’01, second at the NCAA meet in that event a year ago, was still looking for a national qualifying time this year. Pushing the pace from the opening gun, Campbell ran away from the competition and cruised to first place in 9:16, a new Little Three record and a strong NCAA provisional qualifying time.

The purple and gold would finish in first place many more times over the course of the meet. Reed Harlow ’01 came from behind to win the 1500 meter run in 4:08. After trailing the leader for the entire race, Harlow pulled even down the homestretch and outlasted his fading Wesleyan opponent, who barely finished the race upright and collapsed immediately afterwards.

The final distance race of the afternoon, the 5000 meters, also belonged to Williams. After going out at a moderate pace, Wes Reutimann ’02 turned on the jets over the last mile to take first in 15:16, followed by Dusty Lopez ’01 in a second place time of 15:33. The 400 meter hurdles was the highlight for the Eph sprinters, as Ed Rossier ’01 and Andrew Deichman ’01 finished 1-2. Rossier ran 56.63 in capturing the Little Three title, followed by Deichman in 59.24. The 4×100 meter relay team of seniors Jon Pearson and tri-captain John Berry and juniors Mike Schloat and Chido Alozie took first in 42.87. Mike Sheehan ’03 turned in a strong 50.38 in the 400 meter dash for second place.

The field events were also marked by Williams athletes capturing several first-place finishes. Matt Campanelli ’00 owned the hammer throw with a first place toss of 165’ 10″ and was followed by sophomore Richard Chau’s throw of 137’ 4″, good for second place. Matt Holland ’02 won the javelin with a