Men’s lacrosse 7-2 after week of mixed results

It was a full week for the men’s lacrosse team this week, with two home games and one away game. The Ephs began the week on Tuesday with a 16-11 win over Connecticut College. On Thursday, Springfield handed the visiting Ephs their second loss of the season (the first was the first game of the season against Bowdoin) by a final score of 12-9. Williams managed to recover on Saturday, defeating Wesleyan 14-13 in a heated home game. Senior Nick Weisser scored a total of nine goals this week and is currently the team’s high scorer with 29 goals (33 points, with 4 assists), while co-captain John Moorhead ’00 close behind with 28.

A strong second half by the Ephs put Williams over Wesleyan 14-13 on Saturday. After being down 10-7 at the half, the Ephs came back, scoring seven to Wesleyan’s three, to sneak out a win.

“In lacrosse, you’ve got to have pride. We didn’t have any in the first half. We had a sloppy, unemotional first half because of selfishness,” explained Williams head coach Renzie Lamb. “In the second half, we played as a team and had pride on defense.”

The first period was very intense, with each team scoring six goals. Wesleyan scored the first two goals of the game; one at 1:56 and the second at 2:44. Twenty four seconds later, Williams senior Geoff Cohane scored the first Eph goal of the game on a pass from junior Graham Davidson. Less than a minute later, the Ephs tied the score at two when Davidson assisted junior Andy Jones on a goal. Wesleyan would score two more, but the Ephs proceeded to score three goals in less than three minutes. Weisser scored the first unassisted, 11 seconds after a Wesleyan goal. Two minutes, 22 seconds later, sophomore Kevin Reilly passed the ball to Moorhead for the next Williams goal. Williams gained control of the ball after the face-off and sophomore Derek Chapman scored unassisted with just over five minutes remaining in the period. Wesleyan then scored twice to take a one-goal lead. With 2:08 remaining in the period, Weisser scored unassisted to tie the game at six.

Wesleyan dominated the second period, scoring four goals to Williams’ one. Scoring the lone Eph goal in the period was sophomore Scott Goldberg; junior Rob Adamo had the assist.

After the half, Williams managed to take control of the game, using strong defense to prevent the Cardinals from scoring and keeping the ball towards the Wesleyan goal. “We had a group of kids who wanted to get something done,” commented Lamb.

This was evident in the change in the dynamics of the game; the Ephs had twice as many shots as the Cardinals in the third quarter (14-7). After Wesleyan scored the first goal of the peiod to extend their lead to four, senior co-captain Nick Martinelli scored unassisted with just under ten minutes remaining in the period.

After Wesleyan scored again, the Ephs scored four goals on a six-goal run that lasted into the final period. Scoring these crucial goals for the Ephs were Weisser and Cohane, who each had two of the six, and Goldberg and Moorhead.

Wesleyan managed to score with 7:50 left in the game but that was the final goal. Although Williams didn’t score again, they managed to keep control of the ball to prevent Wesleyan from scoring. Noted Goldberg, “at the end, we got the ball on offense with 2:22 left in the game and held it until nine seconds were left. It was a great way to a finish a really tight game.”

Williams outshot Wesleyan 43-25. Eph first-year Mike Buscher had four saves in goal; Lucas Cash stopped 16 Ephs shots in goal for Wesleyan.

Thursday was a tough day for the Ephs, as the loss to Springfield brought the team’s six-game winning streak to an end.

Lamb, clearly disappointed with the loss, noted, “We had poor face-offs and a timid, selfish offense.”

Weisser was once again the high scorer for the Ephs, with five goals. Senior co-captain John Moorhead scored the other four for Williams and had one assist. Also earning points for assists were Martinelli, Cohane, Adamo and Goldberg. Williams went one for seven on extra-man opportunities; Springfield had no extra-man chances.

The Pride took a 5-3 lead after the first period, and Williams managed to score only one goal in the second. Although the two teams were perfectly matched in goals in the second half, the Ephs were never able to overcome the Pride lead from the first period. Buscher had 13 saves in goal for the Ephs; junior Jeremy Platt stopped 16 shots for the Pride.

The Ephs defeated the Camels of Connecticut College 16-11 in cold, blustery weather in the first game of the week on Tuesday. “Connecticut is a very good team that does not have much luck,” remarked Lamb. “After the first period when we were leading 5-2, they did a good job coming back. However, before the second half, our captains spoke to our team. We knew what we had to do and we did it.”

Williams played with a very aggressive defense that helped keep the number of Camel goals to four in the second half. “Junior Jamie Moorhead on defense had the best game of his career today,” praised Lamb. Weisser scored four goals, making him the high scorer for the game.

Other strong forces for the Ephs’ offense were John Moorhead (three goals, one assist) and Adamo (three goals, two assists). Parker Sides of Connecticut set a new record for the Camels of most goals scored in a career. The previous record was 127; Sides’ six goals gave him a total of 133.

Goldberg said, “Our defense really tightened up in the second half. Offensively, we really dominated them today. Even though we only had 16 goals, we were able to move the ball effectively against their pressure. Their goalie had a good game but we stepped up the pressure, especially in the second half.”

Williams dominated the first period, as Weisser scored the first goal of the game unassisted less than two minutes after it began. Just over a minute later, Conn’s Rob Travieso scored assisted by Sides to even the score.

Williams then scored three unanswered goals, the first by Adamo and the second two by John Moorhead. Moorhead assisted Adamo on the first, and then shot the second from a pass by Goldberg; Davidson had the assist on the third. With 4:06 remaining in the period, Travieso scored again, this time assisted by senior Jamie Keough.

Weisser managed to score one last goal in the period with 17 seconds left; Goldberg had the assist. Conn managed to tie the game at seven at the half. The Camels took force in the second period, outscoring the Ephs 5-2. Sides had four of the five Connecticut goals in this period. Although Weisser again scored the first goal of the period to give the Ephs a 6-2 lead, the Camels scored five goals in under five minutes.

First-year Mike Hasenauer assisted Sides on the first of these goals, then Sides scored the next two unassisted. The fourth goal of this run, which came with just over six and a half minutes remaining in the half, Travieso had the assist.

Weisser scored his fourth goal of the game with 4:09 left, assisted by Moorhead, but the Camels found one more opportunity to score with 49 seconds to go in the half.

In the third period, the Camels could not regain the power they had found in the second. Cohane, Moorhead, Goldberg and Reilly all had goals for the Ephs. Goldberg’s goal was an amazing shot which came just over five minutes into the half. First-year Tyler Volpe, the Conn goalie, was passing the ball to a fellow Camel when Goldberg intercepted the pass and proceeded to nail it into the net.

Sides scored the only two goals of the third period for the Camels. The fourth period brought five goals for the Ephs, two for the Camels. Among the scorers for Williams were Cohane, Martinelli (who also had one assist in the period), Adamo (who scored twice) and Goldberg.

This week brings some tough competition for the Ephs. Wednesday the team will travel to Middlebury to take on the Panthers, who are currently 8-1 and possess a win streak of five. Saturday, arch-nemesis Amherst travels to the Purple Valley to meet the Ephs at 2 p.m. The Lord Jeffs are 2-5, with the five losses being the longest losing streak for any NESCAC team.

“The biggest challenge for us,”says Moorhead,” is getting everyone on the same page mentally – and will definitely be the key to our success in our last four games of our season.”