Eph QB Keenan signed by Cardinals

Williams College senior QB Sean Keenan (Mt. St. Joseph/Rutland, VT) broke 13 school-passing records last fall in leading the Ephs to the first official NESCAC football title, but it was not quite enough to get him drafted in the NFL’s draft this past weekend.

Keenan had been the first Eph to be invited to the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis in February.

He led the Ephs to a 10-7 win over arch- rival Amherst in his final Eph appearance in football, when he shook off an erratic start and completed four passes in a row to set up the game-winning TD in the fourth quarter.

Keenan, a tri-captain in both football and basketball, will sign a free agent contract with the Arizona Cardinals in the next day or so. He joins Eph Ethan Brooks ’96, an offensive lineman on the Cardinals.

“Coach Farley told me that if I did not go by round four or five going as a free agent would be just as good as I get to choose a team that is interested in me,” said Keenan.

Arizona has Jake Plummer as its starting QB, former Giants starter Dave Brown as the backup and Chris Greisen as its third string. It is Greisen that Keenan will battle for the final QB roster spot.

”Really, Ethan [Brooks ’96] being with the Cardinals had nothing to do with my decision,” said Keenan. “I did not play with Ethan here, but I do know and respect him.” Rob McManus, Brooks’ agent, will handle Keenan’s contract negotiations.

“The Cardinals are giving me a signing bonus and the chance to compete for the number three spot,” said Keenan. They did not sign anyone else at QB, so it’s going to be either Chris Greisen or me at number three. Even if I do not beat out Greisen, the Cardinals indicated that they would be interested in keeping me on their taxi squad. I can use more experience, so even that would help. NFL Europe was not discussed at this time, but that may be a suggested route next spring.”

Keenan will venture to Phoenix at the end of the month for a brief mini camp and then get serious about trying to make the Cardinals after graduating in June.

”He’s a fine young man who made an average Williams football team into NESCAC champions,” said Eph head coach Dick Farley. “I’m pleased he’s going to get a chance to show what he can do. I think the more the Cardinals get to know Sean the more they will like him.”