Compromise reached; Log to stay open Thursdays, next week uncertain

Rumors flared this weekend about the Log being closed this Thursday night and possibly for the rest of the school year. However, a compromise reached Monday night between the Log Committee and a disgruntled faculty member who had complained about excessive noise will allow the Log to hold its usual Thursday night dance party.

Whether activities will be held at the Log Friday night and for the remainder of the semester is still uncertain.

Monday evening James Moorhead ’01, chair of the Log Committee, spoke to the professor, and the two negotiated a compromise, which, if put into effect, would allow Thursday night activities at the Log to continue.

The professor and her mother, who live together in a Spring Street apartment, would stay at the Williams Inn on the remaining three Thursday nights of the semester. This agreement is contingent on the College administration footing the bill.

Since the beginning of the semester, the faculty living in the college-owned apartments neighboring the Log have complained about the noise from the weekly Thursday night party, which usually lasts from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m.

According to College Council (CC) co-president Todd Rogers ’01, the repeated complaints of one faculty member led the Dean’s Office to issue an ultimatum to the Log Committee.

The ultimatum stated that loud music could not be played after 10 p.m. on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights, or after 12 p.m. on Friday and Saturday nights.

It would be Moorhead’s personal responsibility to make sure that the music did not exceed an acceptable level on those nights.“[The time restrictions] were not tenable and they were not really respecting to the integral role the Log plays in the campus social life,” Rogers said.

The committee concluded that the Log could not operate under these limiting circumstances, so it decided Sunday night to simply close the Log for the remaining three weeks of classes.“[The administration] threw out a straw man compromise and that continues to be the way it works,” Rogers said.

“They forced the Log Committee to make the decision that they were afraid to make.”

Commenting on the possibility of closing the Log, Dean of the College Peter Murphy said, “I would like the Log to continue as a social space on campus. I’d like to continue to work to find a solution…My role is to keep the discussion going.”

To rally student support, CC members sent out e-mails publicizing the closing of the Log and urging students to express their discontent.

The future of the Log will be discussed at Wednesday’s CC meeting.