Women’s tennis defeats UMass Amherst 7-2

The Williams women’s tennis team continued its hot play, defeating the University of Massachussets, Amherst 7-2 last Tuesday and then shutting out Bowdoin and Colby on Saturday in women’s tennis action at Smith College. The Ephs’ record now stands at 13-0 for the year.

In their first match of the day on Saturday, the women defeated Bowdoin 9-0. Caroline Wasserman ’03 led the way at #1 singles with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Amy Gubbins. Selma Kikic ’02 pitched in at #2 singles with a 6-3, 6-3 win over the Bowdoin #2 while Tracy Cheung ’03 got a 6-4, 6-0 win at the #3 spot.

At #4, Alison Swain ’01 got a 6-4, 6-2 win while Lindsay Morehouse ’00 won at #5 6-0, 6-2. Tina Howe ’03 at #6 got the final singles win 6-0, 6-0.

In doubles, the Ephs were victorious all around, with Kikic-Jasmine Bradley ’02 winning 8-4 at #1 while Cheung and Sarah Marks ’00 teamed up at #2 to win 8-3. At #3 doubles, Swain and Wasserman won an 8-6 match over Bowdoin’s Chrissy Edwards and Katie Barrett.

The Ephs’ winning ways continued in their match against Colby, a 9-0 shutout as well. Wasserman won at #1 6-3, 7-5 and Kikic at #2 6-2, 6-2. Cheung at #3 got a 6-1 6-4 win while Swain got a 6-2, 6-0 victory. Morehouse notched a 6-1, 6-0 win at #5 with Howe following that up with a 6-2, 6-1 win at #6.

In doubles, the Kikic-Bradley team won 8-0 over Colby’s #1 team, while Cheung-Marks won 8-2 at #2 doubles. To round out the sweep, Swain and Wasserman won at #3 doubles 8-1.

Earlier in the week, the women defeated UMass-Amherst 7-2. It was a big victory for the Ephwomen, who had been shut out to the Division I Minutewomen last year. This year, the story was completely was different, with Williams winning five of six singles and two of three doubles matches.

Wasserman won a tough three-set match at #1 singles, losing the first set 3-6 but then winning her next two sets 6-4 to get the win. At #2, Marks defeated Umass’s Helena Horak 6-4, 6-2 while Kikic won at #3 6-3. 6-3.

Cheung won 6-0, 6-3 at #4 while Morehouse defeated Michelle Kuhr at #6 6-0, 6-2. The only singles loss of the day came at #5, with Swain losing a tough match 6-1, 6-4.

In doubles, Kikic and Cheung dropped a close match at #1 doubles 9-7. The Ephs took care of business in their other two doubles matches, with the Marks-Wasserman team winning at #2 doubles 8-2 and Morehouse-Swain winning at #3 doubles 8-5.

Coming off their big wins this week, the Ephwomen face off against rival Amherst, last year’s national champs, on Saturday at 11 a.m.