White Dawgs run over Blue Donkeys 13-12

This past Saturday, for the second week running, the glorious White Dawgs of Williams College walked off the pitch victorious, but narrowly so. This Saturday, they faced the Middlebury College “Blue Donkeys,” a team fully deluded into believing that people from Williams care about them enough to consider them rivals.

But this misplaced anger served the Donkeys well, as their first half performance was met with a whimper from the Williams side.

As Match Secretary Asa Johnson ’02 reported, “From my view on the sidelines, we appeared sluggish and unathletic. I attribute most of that to the stomach bug that seemed to be plaguing so many of the players Saturday morning…and the fact that I was on the sidelines.”

With only one penalty kick, from Las Vegas native Ryan Kurlinski ’01, behind them at halftime, the White Dawgs walked off the field down 12-3.

But the White Dawgs would not lie down so easily. With the wind at their backs, Williams skipped onto the field ready to dominate. Middlebury spent the majority of the second half pinned at their own end, unable to put together a solid drive.

In a spectacular display of miraculously preserved athletic instinct, sophomore Andy Keating jumped through the Middlebury line and caught a bobbled line out in the try zone for five.

Kurlinski’s kick made the play worth seven. Down by two, the Dawgs again looked to Kurlinski who found the space between the goal posts that you need to kick the ball through to get points for your kick. Williams ended up victorious, 13-12.

The Dawgs’ B-side lost a heartbreaker, primarily as result of shoddy and unattentive coaching by team captains Ian Lewis ’01 and Paul Bethe ’00. Game standouts were Deacon Kim ’02, Nicholas Brandt ’02, Michael Ramsberg ’01 and “Handsome” Pete Walke ’03.

The previous Saturday’s game versus Trinity was a squeaker as well, as the White Dawgs won by merely three points. The only real standout of the game was Kurlinski. Kurlinski scored all three of the White Dawg tries and made every kick attempted during the contest.

Throughout the course of the game, this rugby prodigy made no fewer than seventeen goal-line tackles and sent three Trinity players to the hospital.

Reflecting on two weeks of heart-stopping rugby action, games that could have gone either way but were won by Williams through sheer grit and determination, sophomore officer Emmett Tracy said,”Rugby requires more heart and selfless team spirit than any other game out there, as the Dawgs have shown these past two weeks. It is in light of these requirements that I have chosen to play lacrosse this spring.”