Weisser leads men’s lax team in big win over Trinity

The men’s lacrosse team improved its win streak to five this week with an extremely important 17-13 victory over Trinity on Saturday. This was the Ephs’ only game this week, as Wednesday’s scheduled game against Skidmore was postponed. The Skidmore match has been rescheduled for May 4.

On Saturday, the Trinity Bantams, ranked 19th in the nation, traveled to Williamstown and received a rude awakening. Before meeting Williams yesterday, the Bantams were undefeated, and had beaten five other NESCAC teams: Bates, Connecticut College, Tufts, Colby and Amherst.

The game was heated, and not just because of the warm weather. The Ephs “came out ahead and stayed ahead” said Williams head coach Renzie Lamb, forcing Trinity to try to catch up. However, the Bantams could never quite take over the Ephs. Noted senior co-captain John Moorhead, “The bottom line is that we were ready to play today, and I accredit a lot of that to the competitiveness of our younger players. They practice hard, forcing our starters to be ready to play come game time.”

The Ephs were lead by senior Nick Weisser, who had a tremendous game. Weisser scored seven goals and is currently tied as the team’s second highest scorer; he has scored 16 goals and had three assists. Moorhead said of Weisser “He scores some key transition goals, and was a dominant force. He was red hot today.”

This is the fifth victory in a row for the Ephs, whose record is now 5-1. Trinity is currently 8-1. “In lacrosse, you must be patient, and Trinity just wasn’t patient today. We had many opportunities to overtake them and we took advantage of that,” remarked Lamb.

It was an extremely exciting game, with many goals scored by both teams. However, Trinity was never able to shake the lead the Ephs took in the first period. Sophomore Scott Goldberg commented on Trinity’s attitude before the game: “They came in to this game expecting to beat us and we matched their intensity from the start.” The Ephs took many more shots on goal (43-30) than Trinity.

Williams came out strong in the beginning, scoring the first two goals of the game. After two missed attempts, Goldberg finally netted one with an assist by junior Rob Adamo 53 seconds into the game.

Despite losing the next face-off, Williams managed to gain control of the ball and Moorhead scored unassisted. Trinity senior Andy Hayes scored 46 seconds later with an assist from tri-captain Bobby Souers.

With 8:16 remaining in the period, Williams gained quick possession of the ball and Adamo returned the Williams lead to two with an unassisted goal. Trinity managed to even things at three with two goals. Weisser scored his first goal of the game, assisted by senior co-captain Nick Martinelli, with 40 seconds remaining in the period and returned the lead to Williams. Martinelli commented on Weisser’s play in the game: “Nick had some excellent, fast, accurate shots to beat the Trinity goalkeeper.”

This aspect of Weisser’s play became evident in the second half of the game. The second period began with a quick goal by the Ephs. Adamo passed the ball over the goal to Moorhead who shot down into the right corner of the goal just 31 seconds into the period. A minute and a half later, Hayes scored his second goal for the Bantams. Williams then scored two goals, one by Weisser assisted by Moorhead and one by Goldberg, assist by Adamo.

With 8:30 remaining in the half, Trinity’s Hayes scored again, unassisted. The Bantams got another goal 50 seconds later. Despite the Bantam attempts to come back, Williams led at the half seven to six.

Williams scored the first goal of the second half,1:56 into the period. Weisser scored on an assist from Adamo. Trinity retaliated with a goal 57 seconds later.

Five minutes later, Williams began a three-goal, four-minute run. Weisser scored the first and the third goals, assisted by Moorhead on the first. Senior Andy Jones scored the second goal; sophomore Will Marino had the assist. Weisser scored unassisted again that period with just under two minutes remaining. Trinity scored twice in the remaining 2:03 in the period.

The fourth period began like the previous three, with Williams taking first goal of the period. Martinelli scored his goal 6:12 into the final period. Despite the slow start to the period, the second half was teeming with goals by both teams, with Williams defending their lead as Trinity tried desperately to maintain their perfect season.

Trinity got one more with 6:24 remaining, but Williams retaliated by scoring two goals in 22 seconds. Goldberg scored the first (assist by Marino) and Weisser scored his final goal of the game unassisted.

Trinity managed to get back in the game by scoring three unanswered goals after Weisser’s to even the Williams lead to three. Moorhead, however, put the game out of reach when he scored the final goal of the game, unassisted, with 37 seconds remaining. First-year Mike Buscher had 12 saves for the Ephs; his save percentage is currently 52.6.

Williams will take on Connecticut College on Tuesday at home; the game begins at 4:15. The Camels are currently 3-7. Thursday the Ephs travel to Springfield for a night game against the Springfield Pride, who have a record of 5-5. Saturday brings a home contest against Wesleyan at 2 p.m.

“A lot of the credit has to go to our preparation throughout the week,” noted Goldberg.

“We’ve won five games in a row and we’re really starting to become a confident team,” commented Goldberg. This confidence should carry the Ephs to two more victories this week. As Martinelli notes, “Overall we played with the confidence in ourselves that we can beat anybody. It was a great win to start off this week of three important games.”