Track puts together a strong effort at Relays

The Williams men’s track team hosted the Williams Relays last Saturday at Weston Field. The timing was perfect for the Ephs, as the cold rainy weather that had persisted all week lifted just before the meet.

Running, jumping and throwing under a clear blue sky and a warm sun, Williams put together a strong team effort, along with some impressive individual performances.

Even though this meet placed an emphasis on relays, Eph athletes in the field events competed at their normal high level. Matt Campanelli ’00 won the hammer throw with a throw of 170’ 11″. In the shot put Bob Blackstone ’00 took first place by throwing 47’ 9″, beating second-place Trey Wright ’03 by one inch.

Malcolm Perry ’02 was second in the pole vault at 13’ 6″. Jason Mirach ’01 has become nearly automatic in both the triple and long jumps, and continued to impress on Saturday, winning both events with jumps of 46’ 1″ and 22’ 2.5″ respectively.

In the triple jump, Dwight Ho-Sang ’02 and Manny Benjamin ’01 finished second and third to complete a Williams sweep.

Not to be outdone, the Eph distance runners would come up with a couple of sweeps of their own. In the 1500 meter run, Jay Slowik ’01 led a late charge to overtake the early leader from St. Lawrence and took the lead with less than 300 meters to go, only to be passed by classmate Tim Campbell in the last 50 meters. Campbell’s winning time was 4:02, with Slowik one second behind in second place. Chris Garvin ’03 completed the sweep with his third place finish.

The 5000 meters was less dramatic but the results were the same. Reed Harlow ’01 led nearly from wire to wire, winning in 15:37, followed by Will Ronco ’01 and Karl Remsen ’03 in second and third place.

Running an exhibition race at the rarely contested two-mile distance, Wes Reutimann ’02 took second place in 9:25. The sprint races featured second place finishes from Mike Schloat ’01 in the 200 meters and Chido Alozie ’01 in the 100 meters.

Appropriately enough, the Eph relay teams were also in fine form. Schloat and Alozie came back with senior teammates Jon Pearson and John Berry took first place in the 4×100 meter relay, to go with a second place finish by the 4×400 team. The sprint medley team was third, and the distance medley team finished in second place.

The meet also featured a number of unusual races, including 4×100 meter relays for the throwers and jumpers.

These races were entertaining for the spectators and gave the Ephs an enjoyable opportunity to cheer for teammates who can’t ordinarily be found sprinting around the track.