Women’s track finishes second at Div I meet

The Ephs finished second to Vermont (245)with 174 points, defeating Albany (166), Colgate (82) and Hartford (11). Williams was the only Division III school; the other teams are Division I.

Williams received several record-breaking performances at the meet. First-year Rita Forte, an All-American hurdler during indoor season, won the 100-meter high hurdles with a time of 14.70 seconds, tying the school record she set over spring break. Forte then went on to take second in the long jump with a jump of 18’ 01.50”. Forte’s jump set a new school record and qualifies her provisionally for the NCAA championships in May.

The other top performance in the sprints came from first-year Colleen Doody, who took second in a photo finish of the 400-meter dash with a time of 57.08. Doody’s time was less than a tenth of a second off the school record, and qualifies her provisionally for the NCAA championships. “I felt really good during my race,” said Doody, an indoor All-American, “I paced myself much better for the first 200 meters than I have been doing, so I didn’t feel as tired during the last stretch of the race.”

The Ephs also received winning performances in the distance events. Senior Lauren Krisko won the 5000-meter run with a time of 18:30.05, followed by teammate Julia Bensen ’03, who took second in 19:11.01. “The wind was really strong coming off the turn, so the times weren’t great,” commented Krisko. “Still, I was happy with my race, and hopefully my times will continue to improve.” Sophomore Jonnie Vasse won the 3000-meter run with a time of 10:30.05. Teammate Joey Shapiro ’01 took third with a time of 10:55.16. “I was really happy with my race,” said Vasse. “I didn’t race over spring break, so it was good to come back fresh and see how I could do.”

In the 1500-meter race, senior co-captain Tara Crowley, an indoor All-American in the event, placed second with a time of 4:41.70. Crowley’s time meets the provisional qualifying standard for the NCAA championships. “It was very windy,” stated Crowley, “but I had some good competition to run against, so I just tried to fight the wind and run a good time. I think everybody on our team did really well, especially considering the wind.” Sophomore Katie Worth, another indoor All-American, was the Ephs’ top finisher in the 800-meter run, taking third in 2:19.07. The Ephs received another third place finish, in the 10,000-meter run, from junior Maywa Montenegro (40:41.98).

Williams also had a very strong day in the throwing events. Senior co-captain Rebecca Brooks had a strong day, winning the hammer throw with a throw of 155’11.00”, an NCAA provisional mark. She also took second in the shot put with a toss of 43’08.50”, automatically qualifying for NCAAs. Brooks was followed in the shot put by Healy Thompson ’03, the defending national indoor champion in the event, and Diane Williams ’02, who took second and third, respectively, with throws of 42’09.50” and 42’00”. Williams took third in the discus with a throw of 132’11”. The Ephs also received third place finishes from Rachel Horwitz ’03 in the pole vault (7’06”), Melissa Purdy ’02 in the javelin (103’09”), and the 4×400 relay team of senior co-captain Melissa Murphy, Janna Rearick ’02, Worth, and Doody (4:03.31). “Overall, we had a very good meet,” stated Crowley. “Our team really came together over spring break, and I think all the hard work we put in showed at the meet. We had a lot of great performances, which we are looking to carry into the championship season.”

The Ephs’ next meet is the Williams Relays on Saturday, and then championship season begins the following week with the Little Three championships at Wesleyan.