Women’s tennis remains undefeated in match play

After defeating Skidmore this Saturday and improving the full season record to 10-0, the Williams women’s tennis team seems poised to compete for a Division III national championship this spring.The team finished the fall season 6-0 and won the fall Division III New England title, and defeated Amherst, last year’s national champion. The team continued the success in the fall with wins during all of its spring outings so far.

On Saturday, the Ephs had no trouble defeating Skidmore 9-0. In doubles, the Ephs swept all three matches. The first team of Selma Kikic ’02 and Tracy Cheung ’03 had a tough match but eventually defeated the Thoroughbreds’ team of Amy Wachenheim/Heather Wood 9-8.

The Ephs coasted to victory in all of their other matches. The second doubles team of Sarah Marks ’00 and Caroline Wasserman ’03 won 8-3 over Skidmore while at three the doubles team of Alison Swain ’01 and Lindsay Morehouse ’00 followed that up with an 8-0 shutout of their Skidmore opponents.

Williams dominated singles play as well. First singles player Wasserman was winning 6-0 over Wachenheim before Wachenheim retired. At number two, Marks rebounded after losing the first set to defeat Wood 2-6 6-2 6-3.

Kikic and Cheung won at the third and fourth positions by scores of 6-2, 7-5 and 6-3, 6-1. The Ephs completed the sweep with wins by Swain at number five (6-3, 6-1) and a win by number six Morehouse after her opponent retired. Morehouse was up 6-0, 3-0 in the match.

The Skidmore win came after a highly successful spring break trip, where the women kept intact their perfect season by defeating four California schools. They opened the spring season with an 8-1 win over Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 8-1, followed it up with a 9-0 win over Division II Cal Poly Pomona, and then defeated Pomona Pitzer 6-3. That set up a tough match against the University of California San Diego, a team that had beaten both Amherst and Division I Iowa State. The Ephs, however, withstood the Triton challenge and claimed a 6-3 victory over UCSD. The Ephs won all three of their doubles matches and then received singles win from Marks, Kikic and Jasmine Bradley ’02 to complete the 6-3 win. Wasserman lost a tough three-set match to UCSD’s Amy Tranckino.

The team plays its last home match of the season this afternoon against UMass Amherst at 4:15 p.m. The match is scheduled to be played at the outdoor Chaffee courts but may be moved inside in case of inclement weather. The team then travels to Smith on Saturday to face Bowdoin and Colby for a 9 p.m. match.