Women’s crew finishes third at Div I regatta

Williams women’s crew finished the weekend ranked third nationally in the U.S. Rowing/CRCA Division II/III Varsity Eight Top 20 Poll. The team received two of seven first place votes, trailing only William Smith (126) and U.C. Davis (116) with 114 points.

The Ephwomen opened their spring season with the Occoquon Challenge, hosted by the University of Virginia. The Ephwomen placed third behind UVA and George Washington.

Men’s crew also competed in the Occoquon Challenge, where the University of Virginia, a Division I school, defeated them.

Virginia’s varsity four finished in a time of 7:57.7 compared to 8:06.6 for Williams. The Cavaliers’ second varsity four (8:14.5) defeated both the Williams “B” and “A” boats. The Ephs’ “B” boat finished in 8:35.9 and the “A” boat was third in a time of 8:50.8.

The Cavaliers’ novice four finished in a time of 8:22.5 to defeat the Ephs (8:48.6) and the Cavaliers’ “B” boat (8:56.0). In the novice eight competition Virginia was clocked in 7:21.4 and the Ephs finished in 7:47.0. In the second novice eight event the Cavaliers won with a time of 7:49.8 and the Ephs were timed in 8:44.8.

In the day’s closest event, the Cavaliers’ third varsity eight defeated the Ephs’ varsity eight 7:33.6 to 7:40.6.