Men’s track finishes second at SUNY Albany meet

The Williams men’s track team traveled to the State University of New York at Albany on Saturday to compete against Division I competition that included Albany, University of Vermont, Colgate University and the University of Hartford. Williams fit right in with the larger schools, finishing a close second in the overall standings to Albany and bringing home several high individual finishes.

The weather in Albany was unexpectedly sunny, but a fierce wind blew steadily all day, hampering the Eph runners’ times, but not their ability to compete.

The scoring opened with the first event of the day, the 10,000 meters. Dusty Lopez ’01 took first place with a time of 33:20, followed by Will Ronco ‘01 in fourth.

The 3000 meter steeplechase continued the early scoring for Williams, as Karl Remsen ’03 and Shad Miller ’00 finished first and second respectively. Remsen ran 10:01, followed by Miller one second later, in the first collegiate steeplechase for both runners. In the 1500 meters, Reed Harlow ’01 took third place with a time of 4:09.

The Eph success continued in the shorter races as well. Mike Sheehan ’03 ran 50.98 in the 400 meters, good for second place, followed by Miguel Fernandez ’01 in third.

Jay Slowik ’01 slipped past Chris Garvin ’03 at the finish line to capture first place in 2:00.1, with Garvin crossing three tenths of a second later in second. In a thrilling race, Ed Rossier ’01 won the 400 meter hurdles in 56.19.

The Ephs placed extremely well in the field events as well. In the javelin, sophomores Hunter Greene and Matt Holland threw 184’ 5” and 170’ 2” respectively, placing second and third. Both throwers set personal bests.

Trey Wright ’03 led a strong contingent in the shot put with a winning throw of 48’ 11”, followed by senior tri-captain Bob Blackstone in second place and Dave Fontes ’02 in third.

Blackstone doubled back in the discus to place second with a throw of 129’ 9”. In the hammer throw, Matt Campanelli ’00 turned in his usual solid performance, winning with a throw of 168’ 8”.

The Eph jumpers were once again led by junior tri-captain Jason Mirach. Mirach finished second in both the long and triple jumps, with jumps of 22’ 1” and 45’ 3”.

The Ephmen tallied a final score of 200 points, handily beating UVM, Colgate and Hartford, and finishing only eight points behind first place Albany. The meet was a good showing for Williams, because it showed great progress from the indoor season.

During the indoor season, Albany came to Williamstown and handled the Ephs relatively easily, but on Saturday, the meet was not decided until the final events.

Mirach summed it up best when he said, “Basically everyone showed a lot of effort, and we put together some solid performances. We gave Albany a run for their money, but we still have a lot of room for improvement.”

Next week the Ephs stay in Williamstown for their only home meet of the outdoor season, the Williams Relays.