Women’s swimming and diving takes fourth in nation

The Williams women’s swimming and diving team had a strong showing at the Division III National Championships last week, held at Emory University in Atlanta, placing fourth overall with 301 points. Kenyon College won the meet with 619.5 points, Denison University was second with 417.5 and UC San Diego was third with 355.5. The Williams women were able to hold off Wheaton College, which rounded out the top five in fifth with 261.5 points.

While there were high and low points to the three-day competition, looking back co-captain Beth Boyd ’00 reflected, “We had a great meet, and we showed Div. III what Williams swimming is all about.”

The 200-yard freestyle relay of Zibby Stokes ’03, Carissa Carter ’01, co-captain Erin Anderson ’00 and Amy Warren ’01 got off to a quick start for the Ephs on day one as they placed fourth in 1:36.90.

Cristin Brennan ’02 had a solid swim in the consolation final of the 500-yard freestyle, placing 10th in 5:02.42.

Stokes and Warren both placed in the 50-yard freestyle. Stokes’ time of 24.28 put her in eighth, while Warren was 12th with 24.48.

Heather Cyr ’00 had an amazing performance on one-meter diving, as she placed second with 365.45 points. Caroline Crocker ’03 also dove well for the Ephwomen, placing 10th with 338.40 points.

Winding up day one, the 400-yard medley relay of Jocelyn Sutton ’01, Anderson, Stokes and Warren had a stellar swim to take fifth place with a time of 3:54.20 .

Starting day two, the relay of Sutton, Anderson, Stokes and Carter swam to fifth place in the 200-yard medley relay with a time of 1:48.55.

Swimming next to each other in the 400-yard individual medley, Boyd and Britta Hult ’02 had different approaches to the race, but both touched in at 4:40.54 to tie for 14th place.

The 100-yard butterfly was the strongest event of the meet for Williams. Three swimmers scored points as Stokes took second in 57.53, Warren was seventh in 58.48 and Katie Darling ’00 placed 16th in 59.46.

Brennan had another solid swim in the 200-yard freestyle, picking up fourth place with her time of 1:54.76.

After having fought off problems all year, Anderson had an amazing second place finish in the 100-yard breaststroke. Her time of 1:05.13 was just .05 off the winning time. Anderson finishes her swimming career with six individual national titles—she won the 100 and 200-yard breaststrokes in 1997, 1998 and 1999.

Finishing up day two, Sutton swam a quick 1:00.26 to place 16th in the 100-yard backstroke and the 800-yard freestyle relay of Liana Thompson ’01, Warren, Stokes and Brennan placed sixth in 7:47.05.

Williams had few finalists on the third and final day of the meet, but those who swam or dove put in the performances needed to hang on to fourth place. Brennan started the evening right when she placed third in the 1650-yard freestyle with a time of 17:06.27.

Cyr and Crocker provided a huge boost for the team as they both placed in the top eight in the three-meter diving competition. Cyr was fifth with 424.40 points and Crocker took seventh with 411.15 points.

Winding up the meet the 400-yard freestyle relay team of Thompson, Stokes, Warren and Anderson placed a close third behind Kenyon and Denison with a time of 3:31.29.

Following the meet during the presentation of individual awards, Williams diving coach Kitt Callahan Koch was named the Diving Coach of the Year. “I didn’t expect to get this,” she said afterwards. “Heather and Caroline did great; it’s because of them.”