Parekh and Rogers win CC presidential elections

This year’s College Council (CC) elections concluded smoothly with over 1320 students using the new online voting system. Judicious Online Secure Elections (JOSE) allowed votes to be tabulated instantaneously, with election results available shortly after the voting stopped Wednesday at 11 p.m.

Despite the presence of four tickets challenging for the CC co-presidency, Ami Parekh ’01 and Todd Rogers ’01 amassed 51.77 percent of the votes, giving them the requisite majority to win outright. Phil Swisher ’01 and Felton Booker ’01 placed second in the election, with 22.91 percent; Robert MacDougall ’01 and Brendan Quinn ’02 earned 19.37 percent of the overall vote. The other announced ticket, Jonathan Wiener ’02 and Seth Behrends ’02, finished with 4.45 percent.

“We were shocked by the results,” Rogers said. “We all expected the election to go to runoffs, and to discover that a majority of the campus supported us and our vision was overwhelming. I understand the results of the election as reflecting the campus’ confidence and trust in Ami’s and my vision of the campus and of CC’s role on it.”

Swisher said that he and Booker “feel good about the elections. Many talented students were interested in becoming part of College Council, which will serve the organization well next year. The new College Council has our full support.”

Joe Masters ’02, who designed JOSE, received 55.76 percent of the vote to win the CC secretary position over Erin Troy ’01, who earned 41.29 percent. Masters’ personal projects include the addition of more public printers, the creation of an online faculty facebook and the development of a new web system for CC that would foster student/council interaction online.

Ryan Mayhew ’01 will face Ricky Perez ’01 in a run-off for CC treasurer as neither received 50 percent of the vote.

Given the 60 percent voter turnout – one of the highest in recent years – Parekh believes the elections have made CC more visible to the community at large. “Because of the competition, CC will have to become more accountable to the student body and this is a goal of ours,” she said. “We should be held to the campaign ideas, projects and hopes that we presented.”

According to Rogers, the co-presidents’ immediate plans for CC include changing CC meetings to make them more “issue-driven and more effective at working towards campus improvements” and making CC more open, visible and accessible.

Parekh and Rogers would like to move the CC office – currently located in the locked Student Activities Resource Room (SARC) in Goodrich – to a more prominent location such as Baxter in order to achieve optimal interaction with the campus. Furthermore, they intend to establish “open hours” to listen to concerns of the student body. Their three-tiered campaign goals also included commitment to fostering better relationships within the community and to combating political and social apathy at Williams.

Parekh and Rogers have already begun working on the former, as they met with members of the Log Committee, SAC, the Goodrich Committee and Student Activities Coordinator Rich Kelley last Thursday. To reduce fragmentation on campus, they would like to see CC coordinate projects with other groups. For instance, Parekh and Rogers are looking into the Minority Coalition’s (MinCo) newly established Minority Curriculum Revision Committee. In addition to recently placing the Sunday New York Times in every common room, Parekh and Rogers are looking to support more proactive stances toward breaking down political and social apathy on campus.

Parekh and Rogers would also like to incorporate issues and ideas their challengers brought forth during the campaign. According to Rogers, the co-presidents hope to adopt the Booker/Swisher ticket’s goals of accountability and effectiveness and MacDougall and Quinn’s challenge of incorporating fresh voices in CC and meeting with campus groups.

Overall, Rogers said, “The intense competition has made CC more prominent in the campus consciousness and this can only help CC in being more effective, representative and responsive. The various tickets in large part mobilized different segments of the campus.”

Honorary Degree Committee:

Ricky Perez ’01 (66.23 %)

Lesley Reith ’01 (46.05 %)

Run-off: Rob Seitelman ’01 (41.67 %)

Victoria Henrion ’01 (40.79 %)

Honor and Discipline Committee:

2003: Jordan Goldwarg (48.24 %)

Run-off: Healy Thompson (44.31 %)

Michelle Kron (43.14%)

2002: Andrew Woolf (68.28 %)

Run-off: Nicholas Brandt (15.86 %)

Yvon Hopps (14.54 %)

2001: Krzystof Piekarski (45.02 %)

Run-off: Rebecca Hinyard (42.80%)

Ryan Kurlinski (32.10 %)

Committee on Priorities and Resources:

Pat McCurdy ’02

MinCo Reps:

Gideon Lee ’01 (82.17 %)

Princess Alegre ’03 (13.09%)

Class At-Large Reps:

2003: Mayo Shattuck (68.35%)

2002: Laddie Peterson (53.73%)

2001: James Moorhead (79.52%)

Campus At-Large Reps:

Christopher Koegel ’01 (61.41%)

Nishant Nayyar ’02 (57.02%)

Run-off: Robert Sica ’01 (42.12%)

Shenil Saya ’02 (40.19%)

Danielle Lapin ’03 (39.66%)

Alex Morrison ’02 (38.59%)

Advisory Committee on Shareholder Responsibility:

Robert Baldwin ’03 (46.69%)