Women’s squash hosts national singles tournament

Williams hosted the Intercollegiate Squash Singles Championships this past weekend. Competing for the national individual title were the top 64 men and the top 64 women in the country, with at least one player from each school.Among those invited to play in the tournament from the Williams women’s squad were Johanna Kolodny ’01, Kathryn Dingman ’01, Katherine French ’02, Selma Kikic ’02 and Adrienne Ellman ’03.

Kolodny started off her weekend with a quick three-game win over her opponent from Smith. She then faced her own teammate Selma Kikic in the second round of the tournament. The match proved to be Kolodny’s best of the weekend. The two Ephs battled it out in long points and with great shows of endurance. Kolodny hustled for every ball and fought with fierce determination, but in the end dropped the match 9-7, 9-2, 9-4.

In her final match of the weekend, Kolodny faced the number three from Cornell. After a tough first game, fatigue set in and Kolodny wasn’t able to keep up the same pace for the next two games, consequently losing 9-7, 9-4, 9-0.

Dingman lost her first-round match to the number three from Dartmouth 9-5, 9-6, 9-1. Though she played competitively in the first two games, Dingman quickly dropped the third when her opponent picked up the pace and started to dominate with deep balls to the backhand. In the first round of the consolation draw, Dingman beat her Mt. Holyoke opponent 9-6, 9-3, 9-0, but she then lost in the second round of the consolation to the number four from Harvard.

In the first round of the tournament, French lost to the number four from Trinity in three games. She rebounded, however, in the first round of the consolations with an impressive three-game win over her Franklin and Marshall opponent. French had made significant improvements in the past few weeks and it was very evident in this match.

Her biggest match of the weekend, however, came in the second round of the consolations against the number one from Middlebury. After winning the first two games, French dropped the next two. In the fifth game French displayed great mental toughness as she fought hard for every ball and won it 9-1. French made it to the quarterfinals of the consolations, but lost in three games to Harvard’s fourth player.

Kikic won her first two matches of the tournament, placing her in the round of sixteen. She beat the number three from Bates in three games in the first round of the main draw, and then she defeated her own teammate Kolodny in the second round. In the third round, Kikic faced the number one from Yale, also seeded the number two in the tournament. After a shaky start, Kikic rallied and though she lost in three, she played the second two games with fiery intensity. In the quarterfinals of the consolations, Kikic faced the number two from Harvard. In the first game, Kikic played some of her most competitive squash of the season, and she took the game 9-7. Her opponent, endowed with many more years of experience, was able to take the next three games.

However, during the match Kikic really stepped up her game, and gave her opponent a run for her money in the process. Kikic will probably finish the season ranked somewhere in the top 40 in the country. Ellman, who played number one for Williams this season, beat the Colby number one in a quick three games in the first round of the main draw.

In the second round, she faced the number three from Trinity, who was a seeded eleventh going into the tournament. Ellman’s opponent came out strong, and caught her off guard, taking the first two games 9-0, 9-0. However, in the third game, Ellman was able to slow down the tempo of play and move her opponent around the court more. In addition, Ellman started hitting perfect drop shots. She took the next two games 9-5, 9-6. In the fifth game Ellman was up 5-0, but the momentum shifted and her opponent took the game 9-5. Ellman was able to overcome a nagging injury to win her next match against Brown’s number one in five games. Finally in the quarterfinals of the consolations, Ellman was defeated by the Harvard number three in four games. Ellman will probably finish the season ranked somewhere in the top 22, putting her in good standing for All-American honors.

Coach Greenwood was pleased with all of her players’ performances this weekend: “Everyone who played in the tournament finished the season playing the best squash that they had. I am very proud of each of them.”