Men’s track third at ECACs

After a heroic effort at the Division III New Englands, members of the Williams track & field team took their uniforms, equipment and pride to Norton, Mass. for the ECAC Championships. True to form, the team gave its best effort, taking the bronze with 35 points, behind first place College of New Jersey (50) and Keene State (44).

This abbreviated squad consisted of mostly distance and field athletes. Tri-captain Jason Mirach ’01 and Dwight Ho-Sang ’02 led the way with stellar marks in the triple jump. Ho-Sang leaped a personal best of 44’ 11.5″, placing second and edging out Mirach, who finished third (44’ 8″).

Mirach also competed in the long jump gaining third place honors with a mark of 22’ 2.25”. In the weight throw, Matt Campanelli ’00 ended his final indoor season at Williams with a respectable 50’ 10″, good enough for eighth overall.

The highlight of the day for the Ephs was the competition among the three throwers. Their rivalry all year pushed them to many personal records this indoor season. After being edged last week by senior Bob Blackstone, Trey Wright ’03 surpassed the senior with a toss of 48’ 8.75″, placing sixth. Blackstone ended up in ninth place after a showing of 47’ 6.5”. The winner out of the threesome was sophomore Dave Fontes. Stealing the day, Fontes hurled a personal record of 48’ 8.75″, edging Wright on a technicality.

The distance runners also posted excellent times at Saturday’s meet. Chris Garvin ’03 lead his teammates with a second place effort of 2:30.92 in the 1000 meters. Dusty Lopez ’01 also ran well in the 5000m, placing eighth (15:22.68). The four members of the team’s distance medley relay finished fourth with a time of 10:32.09. The athletes who participated in the ECAC meet now join their team to prepare for the spring season. The Ephs plan to descend upon San Diego, Calif., where they will construct their goals to dominate New England.