Women’s basketball suffers two tough losses

The Williams women’s basketball team dropped a pair of games over the weekend by a combined five points. The defeats drop the Ephs’ overall record to 15-8 and their NESCAC record to 4-4 with just one contest remaining in the regular season.

Saturday afternoon the Ephwomen lost on the road to a tough Bates team, which improved to 19-3 on the season with the win. Williams nearly completed the comeback after falling behind by as many as 13 in the second half but wasn’t able to pull it out in the end, falling 70-66.

The Ephs went on top 13-10 when Rebecca Brooks ’00 hit a pair of free throws in the early minutes of the first half. Unfortunately for the Ephwomen, it was the last time that they would lead on the afternoon. Bates went on a 16-5 run to go on top 26-18 with 7:48 remaining in the first. Williams responded with a 13-6 run of its own to close out the half, and at halftime the Ephs trailed by just one at 32-31. In the first period Williams shot well from both the field (10 of 26 for 39 percent) and the foul line (11 of 15 for 73 percent).

The Bobcats began the second half with an explosive run, going ahead 48-39 in the first six minutes of the period. Williams was behind 66-53 at one point, but the Ephwomen battled back into the game, benefiting from bad free throw shooting by the Bobcats. The Ephs cut the lead all the way to three in the closing minutes, but Bates held on for the 70-66 victory.

Williams finished even with Bates in nearly every statistical category, showing just how close the contest proved to be. Each team pulled down 42 total rebounds, the Ephs had 26 turnovers to the Bobcats’ 25 and Williams collected 12 steals to Bates’ 11. Bates’ biggest advantage was its stellar field goal shooting.

The Bobcats shot a blistering 48 percent on the game. Williams actually made 10 more free throws than Bates, as each team attempted 24 foul shots, but 0 for 16 shooting from behind the three-point arc helped spell the Ephs’ demise.

Rebecca Brooks ’00 had a phenomenal offensive performance against Bates, finishing with 34 points on 12 of 15 shooting from the field. She also was 10 of 12 from the line and pulled down a team-high 12 rebounds.

The Ephwomen were on the losing end of a one-point game Friday night at Tufts, falling 64-63 in the closing seconds. Tufts held a slim 33-31 lead at halftime, and it went up by as many as 12 with six minutes left in the second half. But the Ephs fought back into the game down the stretch, cutting the lead to just one with 30 seconds remaining. In the final 17 seconds, Williams received the ball under its own basket for three straight out-of-bounds plays, but the team was unable to score the go-ahead basket. It was the first time in five years that Tufts had beaten the Ephs.

Brooks was the again the game’s leading scorer, ending with 27 points. The co-captain also pulled down 10 points for a double-double.

Co-captain Sam Daigneault ’00 added 11 points in the loss, while Abi Jackson played well in the post, grabbing a team-high 14 rebounds. Tilley gave yet another all-around performance, collecting nine rebounds, six assists and four steals on the night.

The Ephwomen close out their regular season tonight, travelling to Middlebury for a 7:00 game.