Women’s squash sweeps Amherst to take Little III title

The Williams women’s squash team took the Little Three title on Saturday by handily defeating both Amherst and Wesleyan. It was the first time in four years that the Ephs were able to pull out a win against rival Amherst.

Though ranked just one spot below the Ephs, the Jeffs proved to be no match for the Williams lineup. Two obstacles that the Ephs were forced to overcome, however, were the exceptionally warm Amherst courts, which made the ball travel noticeably faster, and the rowdy crowds that showed up to cheer on Amherst.

Williams never wavered, though, as it won at all of the top nine spots, as well as in the three exhibition matches for the tenth through twelfth position.

“We are definitely a more skilled team than them, and we wanted to win really bad,” said senior co-captain Megan Doherty. “With this combination, there was no way that we could lose.”

At number one, Adrienne Ellman ’03 had an especially exciting victory. She was matched up against Amherst senior co-captain and long-time rival Rachel Nissonsan, who had beaten Ellman in previous matches. However, Ellman dominated the four-game contest with her excellent shot selection and steady determination.

“It was amazing to watch [Ellman] play,” said Selma Kikic ’02. ”She has been steadily improving all season, but her progress was especially evident in this match.”

Minutes after the Amherst match, the Ephs got back on the courts to face Weslyan. Despite the lack of rest, the Ephs again played clean, decisive squash, and were victorious in the top nine positions, as well as in the tenth spot exhibition match. In fact, none of the Ephs even dropped a game to Wesleyan.

Said Katherine French’02, “We really pulled it together today and we never let up our guard.”

Over Dead Week, the Williams squad traveled to Princeton to play in the USWIRA individuals tournament. Overall, the team performed quite well. Kikic was the runner-up in the women’s 4.0 draw and Kathryn Dingman ’01 was the runner-up of the 3.0 draw.

In addition, Johanna Kolodny ’01 made it to the finals in the consolation round of the 3.0 draw, and Nicole Humick ’03 won the consolation round-robin of the 3.0 draw.

Since then, the Williams squad has beaten Vassar (9-0), but it suffered losses to Brown (3-6) and Trinity (0-9). Highlights from these matches include a five-game win by Kolodny over her Brown opponent, and competitive play by first-year Whitney Hallagan in both her Brown and Trinity matches.

Hallagan easily defeated her Brown opponent in a quick three games, and had a tight contest against her Trinity opponent, though in the end she lost in four games.

This weekend, the Ephwomen will hit the road to New Haven to play in Yale’s Howe Cup tournament.