Nordic skiers finish strong at UVM, UNH

Despite mid-season fatigue and sickness settling in, the Williams men’s and women’s Nordic ski teams have had several strong performances these past couple of weeks, proving that nothing can slow them down. The women skied to a third place finish in the 10K classic race at the University of New Hampshire’s Carnival with two top ten finishes. The men, also skiing strong, placed two in the top ten allowing them to finish fifth in the 10K classic race. In the 5K freestyle mixed relay (a four member team composed of two men and two women), Williams finished seventh overall.

Last week found the Nordic ski team at the University of Vermont’s Carnival. Both the men and the women skied to a strong finish in the freestyle and classic races. The men’s 10K freestyle race found juniors Jason Lemieux and Noel Johnson separated by only one-tenth of a second for a 14th and 15th place.

First-year Melody Scheefer led the way for the women in the 5K freestyle race in 15th place. In the men’s 20K classic race, Johnson and Lemieux once again led the men’s team with Lemieux in 15th and Johnson 18th place. Scheefer turned up the snow and skied her way to a tie for third place in the women’s 15K classic race. With senior Helena Johnson finishing in 13th place, the women held on to their third place finish once again.

This weekend found the Nordic ski team at the Dartmouth Carnival, known more for its Valentine’s Day Carnival Crush rituals than the multiple hairpin turn downhill that seems to trip up even the best of Nordic skiers. Friday’s race proved to be a solid one for both the men and the women.

Sophomore Erin Johnson led the way for the women in the 10K freestyle race finishing 15th. Junior Katie Guernsey followed in 17th place and sophomore Jenny Wetzel rounded out the top three in 20th. The men’s 15K freestyle race found Lemieux finishing in 5th place, the first top five finish for the men’s team this year.

Close behind him were Johnson in 11th place and senior P.J. Spina in 13th allowing the men a third place finish overall, their best finish as a team this season.

This coming weekend the Nordic Ski Team will be competing up at their home course, Prospect Mountain, just outside of Bennington, Vt., site of the Williams Carnival Nordic events. With the addition of Bud’s Folly to the course last year, and with all of the new snow Prospect has been receiving, the races on Friday and Saturday should not be missed!