Ephwomen enjoying the best season in team history

The Williams women’s ice hockey team has had a remarkable run lately, winning eight of its last nine contests and upping its season record to 13-6-0. Included in the victories were important wins over Bowdoin, Colby and Wesleyan. The winning streak has allowed the team to go into uncharted territory, as the women have won the Little Three, positioned themselves for an ECAC playoff berth for the first time and are likely to set a record for most wins by an Eph women’s hockey team in a season.

On Sunday, Williams completed the season sweep of Wesleyan, a team that, before this year, the Ephs had not beaten since 1996-97. The Ephwomen thoroughly dominated the Cardinals in this meeting, outshooting their rivals 61-32 and coming out with a 2-0 victory. In the first and second periods, Williams had a number of scoring opportunities, but Wesleyan was able to withstand the Ephs’ attack. In the third, the Wesleyan defense finally broke down as the Ephs got their first goal 6:38 into the period from Caitlin Bowler ’02. Kristen Lee ’01 and Amanda Weber ’02 assisted on the score.

The game remained a tight affair until Williams notched another with less than five minutes to go in the game to extend the Ephs’ lead to two. Lee got the goal, assisted by Karen Thome ’03 and tri-captain Katie Gold ’00. Monelle Quevillon ’03 played superbly in goal, saving all 32 Wesleyan shots she faced.

The day before, the Ephs tore apart Trinity 11-1. Tri-captain Cara Shortsleeve ’00 led the way with four goals in the win.

Hillary Weinblatt ’02 started the scoring off with an unassisted goal 2:03 into the first. At the 8:49 mark, Shortsleeve, from Lee, got the first of her four on a shorthanded goal. Later in the period, tri-captain Alexis Scott ’00 scored a power play goal, assisted by Shortsleeve and Thome, to extend the Williams lead to three. At 14:26, Shortsleeve netted another, assisted by Thome and Molly Venter ’02.

Finally, to cap the Williams period scoring at five, Shortsleeve completed the hat trick with an unassisted, shorthanded goal less than two minutes towards the end of the period. Williams outshot Trinity 19-4 during the first.

In the second, Williams once again dominated, outshooting the Bantams 15-3 and scoring three more goals to put the game out of reach. The Ephs’ first goal in the second came off the stick of Thome seven minutes into the period. Seconds later, Tracy Borawski ’03, from a Gold feed, made it a perfect seven for the Ephs. The final Williams goal of the period came from Shortsleeve, assisted by Scott, at 14:41.

Trinity scored a goal in the third but by this time the game was over. Minutes into the period, Laddie Peterson ’02, from Borawski and Gold, scored to bring the Williams lead to nine. At 6:24, Emily Small ’00, from Borawski, scored to bring the Ephs’ scoring total into double digits. Later, at 8:49, Trinity got its first. The Ephs’ Meghan Bullock ’03 netted one in with 22 seconds left in the game to boost the Ephs’ margin of victory to ten. Victoria Goldman ’01 and Peterson assisted on the goal.

Eph goalie Anna Macintosh saved all five shots she faced while the Ephs’ Rebecca Sanborn ’01 saved nine of the ten Trinity shots she faced.

The week before, Williams’s six-game winning streak came to an end after suffering a 4-3 defeat to Yale. The defeat was a marked improvement from the year before when the Bulldogs crushed Williams at home 7-0. This time, Shortsleeve made sure there wouldn’t be a repeat Yale shutout by scoring a goal just 47 seconds into the match. Yale though would come back in the ninth minute, scoring two goals in a 40 second span (9:53 and 10:05) to take the lead.

In the second, Yale would pad its lead with a goal from Jane Resor 24 seconds into the period. Lee would get Williams back in the game later in the period as she scored the Ephs’ second goal (8:18) to close the gap to one. Shortsleeve and Scott assisted on the goal. In the third, Yale scored the go-ahead goal (1:05). Williams would muster another at 16:17 from Borawski but it would not prove to be enough as Yale came out with the 4-3 win. Lee and Bowler assisted Borawski on the goal.

Yale outshot the Ephs 43-18 with Monelle Quevillon ’03 saving 39 shots.

At the start of Dead Week, Williams won two important matches against the Maine schools, Colby and Bowdoin, to move into fourth place in ECAC and assure themselves of hosting a home playoff game. In their 1-0 win over the Colby White Mules, Williams out shot Colby by a whopping 44-10 on the afternoon but mustered only a goal from Scott. Scott took a pass from Shortsleeve and fired on the goal. The shot may have been tipped as it went up over the White Mules’ Josie Chapman and landed behind her and slid into the net at 11:10 of the first period.

The day before, in what may have been the team’s biggest victory ever, the Ephs defeated Bowdoin, ranked fifth nationally to the Ephs’ ninth, 3-1. Shortsleeve opened the game’s scoring with a goal at 12:22 of the first period. Jocelyn Wang ’03 and Scott were credited with assists.At 4:11 of the second period the Ephs’ Venter scored what would turn out to be the game winner with Scott and Shortsleeve registering assists. The Eph lead was extended to 3-0 at 12:14 of the period when Lee tallied a power play goal. Gold and Thome teamed up to assist on Gold’s goal. Bowdoin averted a shutout by scoring a goal with just six seconds remaining The Ephs’ Quevillon turned aside 29 of 30

Interspersed in the Ephs’ games were the team’s exhibition contests against the Canadian schools Brebeuf and McGill. The Ephs tied Brebeuf 3-3 and lost to McGill 4-2. Neither contest is counted in ECAC standings. The Ephs have already tied the team’s alltime mark for wins at 13 but should break that mark easily this week in their contests at home against Amherst and away at Union and Colgate. The game with Amherst, the Ephs’ last regular season home match, is scheduled to start at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday in Lansing Chapman Rink.