College grants Murphy tenure

Peter Murphy, dean of the College and lecturer in English, has been appointed to the position of associate professor of English with tenure beginning on July 1, 2000.

“I am overjoyed,” Murphy said. “Simply, plainly extremely happy.”

Murphy, whose academic interests include 18th and 19th century literature, lyric poetry and literary history, is excited to return to full time teaching after his five-year term as dean of the College.

“I have a lot more to learn, and some to remember, about being a professor and being a colleague, and I really look forward to it,” he said. “It is a job I love, and it is the only thing I really want to do.”

“It will be wonderful to have him back teaching full time in the department,” professor of English and chair of the English department Christopher Pye said.

Murphy will resume his full-time teaching after a year-long leave, which he will use to catch up on his academic writing.

Murphy came to Williams as an assistant professor of English in 1986. In 1994 he became coordinator of the Residential College Study, a project which investigated life at Williams beyond the classroom. Murphy became dean of the College and lecturer in English in 1995.

Murphy received a B.A. from Yale University in 1981 and a Ph.D. from Johns Hopkins University in 1986, where he held a Mellon fellowship.

In addition to their approval of tenure for Murphy, the trustees of the College granted tenure at the January board meeting to four faculty members as of July 1, 2001: assistant professor of Russian Julie Cassiday, assistant professor of computer science Andrea Danyluk, assistant professor of physics Protik Majumder and assistant professor of political science Cheryl Shanks.