Women’s track and field fares well at two meets

The women’s track team had a busy schedule this weekend, with part of the team competing at the McGill Invitational in Montreal and the rest of the team competing at the Brandeis Invitational in Waltham. The Ephwomen placed fifth at the McGill meet with 37 points, a strong showing in a field that included many top Canadian teams.

The runners at McGill had the advantage of running on a banked track, which is faster than a normal track. The team was led by co-captain Tara Crowley ’00, who placed second in the 1000-meter run with a time of 3:01.18. “I was pleased with my time and my race in general,” said Crowley. “It was nice to run on the banked track. It helps you to go faster.” Crowley was followed closely in the 1000-meter run by teammate Katie Sharff ’02, who placed fourth with a time of 3:04.01.

Healy Thompson ’03 also captured a second-place award; she was the only other Eph to do so. She finished second in the shot put with a throw of 42’ 6″.

“It was really exciting to throw in Montreal,” Thompson said. “My last three throws were worse than my first three, so I was a little disappointed when I finished throwing, but, overall, I was quite happy with 42’6″. I was also happy that Diane [Williams ‘02] and I took places so close to each other.” Williams finished fourth in the shot put with a throw of 38’9″.

The Ephs also received a strong performance on Saturday from Rita Forte ’03. Forte made it through the trials of the 60-meter hurdles to the finals, where she finished third with a time of 9.01 seconds. She also placed fourth in the long jump competition with a jump of 5.16 meters.

The other distance runners also ran very well. Jonnie Vasse ’02 ran a strong 1500-meter race, running particularly well towards the end to finish fourth with a time of 4:53.09. In the 3000-meter race, Joey Shapiro ’01 captured fifth place with a strong time of 10:55.17.

Williams also received points from its 1600-meter relay team, which finished in second place with a time of 4:11.38. This time was the fastest Williams has run this season. Janna Rearick ’02 ran a strong first leg despite a nagging knee injury that has prevented her from competing for much of the season. Olma Fuentes ’03 ran the second leg, with Carolyn Shank ’02 running third.

Colleen Doody ’03 anchored the relay with a very strong split, ensuring the Ephs’ a high finish. Earlier in the day Doody had finished seventh in the 300-meter dash with a time of 43.00 seconds, despite having to pull up slightly at the end due to a nagging leg injury.

All in all, the team was pleased with its performance at McGill. “People were pretty tired; it was a really long day,” said assistant coach Kristen Morwick. “Still, we had some very strong performances from a lot of our athletes.”

The Ephs also received several strong performances from athletes who competed at Brandeis. Lauren Krisko ’00 won the 3000-meter run with a time of 10:41. Deborah Frisone ’00 placed second in the 5000-meter race with a time of 18:46. In the field events, Melissa Daly ’03 finished fourth in the triple jump with a jump of 31’10″. Rachel Horwitz ’03 placed fifth in the pole vault with a vault of eight feet, and sixth in the high hurdles with a time of 9.93 seconds.

The Ephs’ next meet will be at home this Friday, with some of the team also competing at Boston University on Sunday.