Women’s squash trounes Middlebury

The Williams women’s squash team swept Middlebury in an impressive 8-1 victory last Friday. Though the score might indicate an easy win for the Ephwomen, the Panthers were very competitive, as four of the nine matches went to four games. At number four, Johanna Kolodny ’01 defeated her opponent 7-9, 9-0, 9-3, 9-0; at number five, Kathryn Dingman ’01 won 7-9, 9-4, 9-0, 9-4, as did co-captain Meghan Doherty ’00 at number seven (4-9, 9-1, 9-0, 9-1) and Jen Berylson ’01 at number eight (9-4, 9-7, 7-9, 10-8).

Said sophomore Selma Kikic, who soundly defeated her opponent in three games, 9-1, 9-3, 9-3, “Middlebury put up a pretty good fight, but we were clearly the better team out there, and it showed.”

On Sunday, the Williams squad faced Princeton, one of the top teams in the country. Despite dropping the match by the score of 9-0, the Ephs were not discouraged with their play.

“Princeton is a really tough team, but we had lots of long hard points against them, and we were able to take our games to a higher level,” Doherty said.

Highlights for the Ephs included a three-game victory from first-year Nicole Humick in her exhibition match at number eleven (9-5, 9-2, 9-7). At number nine, Berylson also put forth a good showing, losing in a tight five-game contest (9-5, 7-9, 8-10, 9-6, 1-9). Playing in the number one spot, Adrienne Ellman ’03 was on top of her game against Princeton’s Julia Beaver, who is currently the number one college player in the country.

The Ephwomen’s current record is 4-4. They will face Harvard at home on Thursday, and then the will travel to Princeton for the Constable tournament over dead week.