Women’s hockey rolls over Amherst

The Williams women’s hockey team won its third consecutive game Saturday night, blowing out rival Amherst College 5-1. Williams (8-5-0) dominated from start to finish, out-shooting the Lord Jeffs 48-18.

Tri-captain Cara Shortsleeve ’00 scored one goal and assisted on two others while Molly Venter ’02 and Lisa Haney ’03 each added a goal and an assist.

Shortsleeve fed Venter three minutes into the contest for a goal and at the 14:00 mark, Alexis Scott ’00 scored with Shortsleeve and Venter getting credit for assists. Halfway through the second frame, Shortsleeve lit the lamp for the second time of the night, this time on the power play off of a feed from Haney.

Amherst got on the scoreboard a minute later with a goal by Emma Lincoln, but that would be the only mistake that Monelle Quevillon ’03 made, as the goalie posted 17 saves. Amherst’s Heidi Alexander stopped 43 shots. Williams continued to pour it on in the third period, as Haney scored of an assist from Sophia de la Barra ’02. Amanda Weber ’01 capped the scoring with an unassisted goal at the 13:00 mark.

Thursday, the Ephwomen won at RPI 4-1. Though RPI had more than twice as many shots on goal as the Ephs (36-16), the Ephs made their shots count in collecting their seventh win of the year and ending a four-game RPI win streak.

After a scoreless first period, the Ephs were the first to get on the scoreboard. Shortsleeve scored the first of the Ephs’ three second period goals. Shortsleeve scored a power play goal at 1:25 on an assist from Karen Thome ’03.

A little over three minutes later the Ephs moved ahead 2-0 when Katie Gold ’00 scored (5:41) the eventual game-winner. Amanda Weber ’02 was credited with the assist on Gold’s goal.

RPI netted its lone goal of the game on a power play at 10:05. Andrea Wadman scored the goal with assists going to Kate Adams and Andrea Poley. The Ephs’ final goal of the period was Shortsleeve’s second of the night. Shortsleeve scored at 15:53 with Scott and Thome registering assists.

Venter scored an unassisted goal at 19:12 of the third period to cap the game’s scoring. The Ephs scored three goals on seven shots in the period.

Quevillon turned aside 36 of 37 RPI shots to post the win. RPI goalie Laura DeNuccio made 16 saves.

Courtesy of Sports Information