Women’s basketball rebounds with three wins

In a season of ups and downs so far, the Williams women’s basketball team was on the upswing last week.

After losing a pair of close games a week ago, the Williams women’s basketball team got back on track and won all three of its games. The Ephwomen defeated Wesleyan 66-57 on Saturday, won 66-61 at Vassar on Thursday and blew out Hamilton 93-53 at home on Tuesday. The Ephs’ record now stands at 9-4 (1-0 in NESCAC) as the Wesleyan win counts only for Little Three standings.

Against Little Three rival Wesleyan, Williams quickly jumped out on top, and the Ephs appeared as if they might roll to a lopsided win. However, the Cardinals (7-7) fought back admirably and trailed by only seven at the half.

In the second half, Wesleyan closed to within two points with 14 minutes to go in the game. From there, though, it was all Williams, as the Ephs took control of the game behind the inside efforts of Rebecca Brooks ’00. The Cardinals couldn’t overcome Brooks or their own poor shooting (27 percent), while the Ephwomen shot a strong 51 percent on the night.

Brooks finished the contest with 17 points and 13 rebounds, both team highs. Sam Daigneault ’00 and Kate Stumpo ’03 each added 11 points for Williams, while Katie Ford ’00 played well underneath, scoring nine points and pulling down 10 rebounds. Liz Tilley ’01 played a solid all-around game, dishing out seven assists and collecting five steals.

Thursday on the road against Vassar, the Ephwomen struggled in the first half, plagued by the poor shooting that cost the team a few games earlier this year. Williams shot only 29 percent from the field in the first quarter and trailed by four at the break, 29-25.

In the second period, the team came back and played much better basketball, with Brooks leading the way once again. The Ephs shot 41 percent in the second half, as Brooks finished the game with 19 points and 12 rebounds. Ford also played well, scoring 10 points and grabbing seven rebounds.

The Ephwomen began the week of wins with a 93-53 destruction of Hamilton in the Ephs’ first NESCAC game of the season. Williams took a 2-0 lead on its first possession and never trailed in the game. Additionally, every Williams player entered the game, and all but two scored.

The game was very up tempo, affording the Ephs good chances to fast break and to use their full-court trap. Hamilton couldn’t cope with the Ephs’ pressure, committing numerous turnovers which led to easy Williams baskets. At halftime, the Ephwomen held a modest lead, but a quick outburst to begin the second half sealed the win for Williams.

Brooks once again led the team in scoring, contributing 13 points. Alana Basmagy ’03and Ford both scored eleven points, while Stumpo, Daigneault and Nicole Stephens ’02 each had ten.

Brooks is currently second in NESCAC in both scoring and rebounding, averaging 17.8 points and 9.7 boards per contest. Tilley is also NESCAC’s second best in assists, with 4.3 a game.The Ephwomen host Wesleyan and Connecticut College this weekend in NESCAC games.