The new Log: a success so far

The new Log, with its comfortable atmosphere and cozy setting, has drawn many students who did not frequent the meeting place before its renovation. With the support of the College Council, SAC, Activities Office, Dining Services, Housing Committee and the Dean’s Office, the new Log is on trial for the duration of Winter Study, and so far it’s getting high grades.

All of the changes were made with the intention of making the Log an ideal place for warming up, studying, talking with friends, listening to music at Open Mic Night or just partying. The new light, sound and fog system make for a truly jam-packed experience on the dance floor, and the wide selection of board games, newspapers, magazines and books offers an alternative for those who just want to spend some quality time with their significant others in the lounge. The fireplace is the perfect place to sit and chat while drinking a complimentary cup of hot cocoa or cider.

Students go to the Log for a variety of reasons. Jackie Stein ’00, coordinator of the Williams College 30 Hour Hunger Strike, who went to assemble donation cans in the lounge, exclaimed: “I am loving the music right now! …This room was so wasted before they made it so nice.” Someone else agreed, putting in his two cents: “The Log is far cleaner than the Frosh Quad!”

Inexpensive food is another selling point. Chicken wings are 25 cents each, and pizza is one dollar a slice. Kyla Dodson ’03 enthused, “The Log is the best thing to happen to Winter Study. Who can turn away from free hot chocolate in the middle of winter?”

Besides the gratis non-alcoholic beverages, rumor has it that the bar in back is now topnotch. Jen Geiger ’01 said that the new Log was a definite improvement on the old: “I like that it’s open during the day and that there’s food now. People are actually going to the bar there instead of going to the pub. It’s another option.” However, an anonymous student said, “Unfortunately, Williams students are drawn to alcohol, and now it’s easier to get it.”

The Log now features a wide variety of activities; jazz on Monday nights and Open Mic on Tuesdays, during which students can go to support fellow talented Ephs in their creative pursuits. Wednesdays are devoted to watching Dawson’s Creek and 90210 on the big screen TV, and Thursday plays host to themed dance parties that become incredibly crowded in a short amount of time (Be sure to look for the upcoming Millennium Dance Party which is sure to be widely attended).

The Log is open from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. on these nights. Games, music and a fire are featured on Fridays and Saturdays, and on Sunday from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. the attractions include hot cocoa, cider and a fire.

Kim Quigley ’03 stated, “Before the renovation, it seemed that the Log lacked a distinct personality. But the last few times that I’ve been there, it has been more lively – people have fun there, all of the time.” First-year Cara Cipriano agreed: “There’s a lot more publicity now. I didn’t really spend much time here before, but I really like it here now.”