Rossier, Campanelli lead men’s track and field at McGill Invitational

After having broken the 300 meter record a week ago at home, junior standout Ed Rossier got another shot at further lowering it on the fast, banked track at McGill University. Rossier did in fact better his time, finishing third in a very strong field that included teammate Mike Sheehan ’03. Sheehan ran a blistering 36.11 in the first heat of the competition, making him the school record holder for about 5 minutes before Rossier broke his old mark by nearly a second, crossing the line in 35.38. Rossier’s run was the highlight of the day for Williams as the men’s track and field team took home an impressive third place finish at McGill’s annual invitational.

Tri-captain Jason Mirach ’01 also had an excellent showing, placing second in both the long and triple jumps despite some difficult conditions. In the former, Mirach leapt to a mark of 6.78 meters, before jumping an equally impressive 13.77 meters in the triple. Sophomore Dwight Ho-Sang placed sixth in the event with a performance of 12.99 meters. “The surface was really hard, and they had 19 long jumpers, all in one flight, so [Mirach] had to wait for a long time between jumps, but he did well” commented coach Kristen Morwick. Mirach has consistently been one of New England Division III’s top performers this season and is the defending champion in the triple jump.

The other standout for the Ephs at McGill was Chris Garvin ’03, who raced to third in the 1000 meter run with an impressive time of 2:33.08. He also was the fastest of the Ephs in the 4 x 800 meter relay, as he teamed with Miguel Fernandez ’01, Reed Harlow ’01, and Ravi Purushotham ’00 for a fourth place finish in 8:15.82. In other distance action, Harlow ran one of his best races in recent memory, capturing sixth in the 1500 meter run (4:06.28).

Williams has been strong in the shot put for the last few years and the trend has continued this season thanks to the work of three dedicated throwers, all of whom placed at McGill. Senior tri-captain Bob Blackstone took fourth (13.81 meters), Trey Wright ’03 was fifth (13.70)0, and Dave Fontes ’02 was right behind in sixth (13.53).

The 4 x 400 meter relay team of Rossier, Sheehan, Mirach, and Cliff Covington ’01 capped off a long day for the Ephs with a solid time of 3:25.20, good for third place. This sets them up well for the postseason.

Williams also sent a number of athletes to the Brandeis Invitational on Saturday, where three provided top-notch performances. Perhaps the best was senior Matt Campanelli’s first place finish in the 35 pound weight throw, one of the most technically difficult events in track and field.

His throw of 51’ 3 1/2″ was a personal best and one of the best performances in New England this year. The other two Eph notables from Brandeis were Shad Miller ’00 and Dusty Lopez ’01, who placed first and second respectively in the 5000 meter run with strong times of 15:20.77 and 15:22.46.

The team returns to action on Saturday, January 29 with a home meet at the comfortable and quaint Towne Field House. Meet time is 1:00 pm.