Men’s squash takes out Penn, loses to Princeton

The Williams men’s squash team went 1-1 on the weekend, defeating the University of Pennsylvania on Saturday but falling to Princeton on Sunday. The Penn match was quite lopsided, as the 11th-ranked Quakers were no match for the skill and speed of the Williams lineup. The loss to the third-ranked Tigers was closer than the score indicated, as the Ephs were unable to secure victories in several tight matches.

The team traveled to Amherst to meet Penn on Saturday afternoon, and every Williams player was ready from the start, never allowing their opponents to get into the match.

Co-captain Jeff Roizen ’00 commented on the 9-0 victory, saying, “Our team came to play against Penn. We showed amazing intensity and won our matches decisively.”

Number two Win Tangjaitrong ’02 secured a great victory, dominating his opponent with excellent depth and superior shot-making. Mike Bourke ’00 also performed well, capturing his three-game match in quick fashion using devastating drop shots and keeping his serve in the court. Rudolph Montgelas ’03 struggled initially but rallied to win 3-1 in an exciting, spirited contest. The Ephs were excellent at every position on the day, making few mental errors and dropping only one game in ten matches.

The Ephs returned to Amherst on Sunday to meet a talented Princeton squad after their morning matchup with the host school. Despite some excellent individual efforts, the team was unable to win the key points, falling 7-2.

Parth Doshi ’03 played beautiful squash at the number three position, defeating a talented opponent 3-1 and clearly controlling the pace of the match. Co-captain Roizen ’00 also played wonderfully in the six spot, winning a four-game contest over a player who had previously beaten him in a preseason tournament.

Other matches were quite close, but the Ephs were unable to pull out tight games against the Tigers. Chris Delaney ’01 commented on the contest, stating, “Overall the team played quite well. Although we were able to create opportunities, we were unable to capitalize upon them, which is always a frustrating scenario.”

One highlight for Williams was a victory at the number eleven position, as Matt Haldeman ’02 played a tough five-game match, winning 15-12 in the final game. Inspired by the presence of Andrew Weller ’01 in the gallery, Haldeman ’02 picked up his game, overcoming a two-game surge by his opponent and prevailing in front of a capacity crowd.

Coach Dave Johnson commented on the weekend, saying, “I thought we were the favored team going into our match with Penn, but to be honest, I was really impressed with the intensity of all of our players from the first point on.The same focus was there against Princeton and, although I am disappointed to have let a chance at a major upset slip through our fingers, I am encouraged by the team’s improvement competitively since the Yale match.”

The men return to action on Thursday at 7 p.m. against the second-ranked Harvard Crimson in Williams’ own Simon Squash Center.