Women’s track captures second straight home meet

The Williams women’s track team won its second home meet of the season on Saturday at the Towne Field House. The Ephs scored 93 points, defeating Middlebury (73 points), Hartwick (33 points) and Keene State (20 points).

The day included several record-breaking performances by Williams athletes. Healy Thompson ’03 broke her own school record in the shot put, winning with a throw of 44’4.25″. Thompson had set the previous school record the week before at the Dartmouth Relays.

Thompson’s throw this week also set a new field house record and qualified her for the NCAA championships in March.

“I went into the meet really excited because I’d had a positive week of practice,” Thompson said. “Coach Brooks and I have been working on breaking down my throw and concentrating on specific parts of the form; on Saturday, I was able to put the pieces together and throw really well.” Thompson’s throw passed the automatic qualification for nationals by over a foot.

Another record-breaking performance came from Colleen Doody ’03, who won the 500-meter race with a time of 1:17.81. Doody’s time set a new school record, as well as breaking the field house record.

“We put Colleen in the 500 instead of the 300 because she’s been having some problems with her legs, and I thought the 300 might be too explosive,” said sprinting coach Kristen Morwick. “She ran very well in the 500 even though it’s a little longer than she’s used to.”

Doody also anchored the winning 1600-meter relay team. She ran the relay with teammates Olma Fuentes ’03, Katie Sharff ’02 and Julie Shapiro ’03. Fuentes also had a strong race in the 300 meters, finishing second with a time of 45.37 seconds.

“It was the first time I’ve run the 300 this season,” Fuentes said. “We usually run the 200 and the 400, but the 300 was a nice intermediate distance between the two, fast but not too long.”

The Ephs also received winning performances from their distance runners. Jonnie Vasse ’02 won the 3000-meter race with a strong time of 10:33.65. Lauren Krisko ’00 finished first in the 1000-meter race with a time of 3:10.22. “I was pretty happy with my race,” Krisko said. “Usually I run either the 3000 or the 5000, so this was a much faster race than I am used to, but it was great to get some good speed work in before I start racing at the longer distances again.”

Williams captured the quad meet despite the absence of several of its strongest athletes. The Ephs were missing co-captain Tara Crowley ’00, who was an All-American last year. Rita Forte ’03 also was unable to compete on Saturday. Last week at the Dartmouth Relays, Forte set a new school record in the 55-meter hurdles.

The Ephs will continue their season next weekend, with part of the team competing at the McGill Invite in Montreal and the rest of the team competing at the Brandeis Invite.