Women’s squash goes 3-1 at Home Invite

After a disappointing 7-2 loss to Dartmouth last Wednesday, the women’s squash team came on strong, tallying three wins and a loss in the Williams Invitational this weekend. Williams hosted 18 women’s teams for the tournament, and matches were scheduled for Friday through Sunday.

Friday afternoon, the Ephs faced Bowdoin, whom they had narrowly defeated at the Howe Cup last year. The Polar Bears lost no seniors to graduation last spring, and they were able to catch the Ephs off guard this time, defeating them 7-2.

Commented Co-Captain Amanda Winklevoss ’01, “Bowdoin has improved so much from last year. I think we were all a bit surprised with just how good they looked out there.”

The two victories for Williams came at the middle of the ladder from Selma Kikic ’02 and Johanna Kolodny ’01. Playing at number four, Kikic had a clean three game victory (9-5, 9-1, 9-3). At number five, Kolodny fought hard to defeat her opponent in five games (1-9, 9-4, 2-9, 9-3, 9-0).

Though disappointed with the loss, teammate Jen Berylson ’01 felt optimistic about the team’s performance against Bowdoin.

”It was a hard loss, but there were a couple of pretty close matches, and I think that we can do a lot better when we meet them again at the end of the season.”

An hour later, the Ephs regrouped to pull off their first win of the year in their match against Colby. Each member of the Williams squad came out victorious for an overall 9-0 victory.

“It was a good win,” commented Co-Captain Meghan Doherty ’00,”It gave us a lot of confidence and I think that it set the tone for the rest of the weekend.”

Carrying the momentum from Friday’s victory, the Ephs pulled off a huge 5-4 win in a scrimmage against Brown on Saturday. Brown, ranked eighth at the end of last season, had defeated Williams last year at the Invitational. Wins came from first-year Adrienne Ellman at number one (9-3, 9-7, 9-6), Kikic (9-7, 9-2, 9-0), Kolodny (9-3, 9-0, 5-9, 9-4) and Kathryn Dingman ’01 (9-5, 9-3, 7-9, 9-7) at numbers four, five and six, and Berylson at number nine (9-4, 9-6, 9-2).

Although the match didn’t count for the regular season, it forecast an exciting faceoff that will take place between the teams in two weeks. The Ephs were scheduled to face Cornell that evening, but the match was cancelled, and will most likely be rescheduled for some time later this week.

The Ephs finished the weekend with a 9-0 sweep against Bates on Sunday. Coach Julie Greenwood was pleased with her team’s overall performance at the Invitational.

“I think this was a very important weekend for us in terms of match experience and mental toughness. We improved tremendously, had a lot of fun and got better with every match. I am proud of the team and can’t wait for the rest of the season.”

The Ephs are scheduled to play Princeton at Amherst next Sunday at 4 p.m.

by Kathryn Dingman

Staff Writer