Women’s hockey wins two, loses to Sacred Heart

In between two easy victories against Manhattanville and Connecticut College, the Williams women’s ice hockey team lost a tough 2-1 match to ECAC rival Sacred Heart. The two wins and the loss brings Williams’ record to 6-5-0.

On Saturday against Conn, Cara Shortsleeve ’00 led the way with a goal and an assist. She broke a scoreless tie four minutes into the second period off an assist from Jocelyn Wang ’03. Shortsleeve then fed Molly Venter ’02 four minutes later for a 2-0 lead. Emily Small ’00 capped the scoring at the 15 minute mark with Lisa Haney ’00 assisting on the play.

While the offense kept the pressure on Connecticut College all afternoon, the defense was stellar. Goalie Monelle Quevillon ’03 recorded her second shutout of the season by stopping 11 shots.

Saturday’s win came on the heels of a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Sacred Heart. The Ephs once again had difficulty scoring goals, outshooting Sacred Heart 31-16 but not being able to come out on top.

Sacred Heart scored both of its goals in the second period to take a commanding two-goal lead in the game. Alexis Scott ’00, assisted by Venter, scored with nearly a minute remaining (18:56) in the game to close the gap to one, but it was not enough to come out on top this day.

On Wednesday, the team skated out to a 5-1 victory over Manhattanville College. Normally tough, Manhattanville dressed only 14 skaters for this game in what proved to be an easy victory for the Ephs. Seniors on the team led the way for the Ephs in this one, scoring all five of the Williams goals, with two from Shortsleeve, two from Katie Gold and one from Scott.

Shortsleeve, in front of goal, received a pass from Scott on the left and put in for the first Williams goal at the 10:59 mark in the first.

Early in the second (5:50), Gold, assisted by Meghan Bullock ’03, got her first. That set things up for the electrifying 16th minute of the second, when two Williams goals would be scored.

The first came off the sticks of Shortsleeve at 16:04, an unassisted goal where she took the puck from near center and darted her way past three Manhattanville defenders to net in her second. Later, at 16:43, Gold got her second after Liz Toomey ’03 launched a shot that caromed off the Manhattanville goalie. Gold was perfectly positioned right in front of the opposing goalie and easily knocked the puck into the goal once it landed on the ice. It was the second straight two-goal game for Gold. Seven seconds into the third, Manhattanville raced off and notched its first and only goal of the game. Williams would ensure victory later in the period (6:28) when Scott, from Morgan Steiner ’03, got hers to put the game out of reach for Manhattanville. Monelle Quevillon ’03 saved 27 of the 28 shots she faced.

Williams will once again have three away matches this week, facing off Wednesday against RPI before their big matches this weekend against Amherst and MIT.