Track extends Div. III winning streak to 143

Led by its sprinters and throwers, the Williams College men’s track and field team, with a victory over three schools, extended its winning streak over Division III competition to 143. Final Team Scores: Williams College, 104.5; Middlebury College, 41; Keene State, 39.5; Hartwick College, 30.

The Ephs, depleted by injuries and winter study abroad programs, were lifted by the performance of Ed Rossier ’01 in the rarely contested 300-meter run. Having had his eye on the school record in the event since his freshman year, Rossier finally got his opportunity to break it and did so in fine fashion, winning the event in a time of 36.23 seconds.

The old record in the event was held by Schan Duff and Matt Woelfel. Supporting Rossier in the 300 were Clifton Covington ’01, Mike Schloat ’01, Ian Warrington ’03 (running his first collegiate race) and Andrew Deichman ’01, who placed 2-5 respectively.

In the other sprints, Williams collected a good deal of points, despite some notable absences. In the 55 meter dash, the Ephs still managed to take the top two spots without the presence of its three top athletes in the event. First across the line was Mike Sheehan ’03 with an impressive time of 6.79 seconds. Close behind was Schloat (6.91). In an exciting 500 meter race, Chris Garvin ’03 came out on top with a time of 1:09.30, narrowly beating out Hull of Hartwick and teammate Miguel Fernandez ’01, who claimed third (1:09.93).

With much of the distance team either training through the weekend or absent, it was up to a few diehards to carry the load. Doug Thunen ’02 was the only winner, claiming the 3000-meter run in a time of 9:54.01.

Dusty Lopez ’01 and Will Ronco ’01 had good days in the mile, placing third and fourth, respectively (4:35.37 and 4:39.18). And in the 1000, Reed Harlow ’01 was the first Eph to finish, placing third in a time of 2:41.74, just ahead of comeback king Ravi Purushotham ’00 (2:42.71).

Matt Campanelli ’00 was the best of the Ephs in the field events, claiming first in the 35-pound weight throw with a mark of 48 feet 4 ½ inches, a full eight feet better than his next closest competitor. Campanelli was an NCAA qualifier in the hammer throw last spring. The Ephs took first through third in the shot put, led by tri-captain Bob Blackstone ’00, who won with a 45’ 3″ put. Taking second and third were Trey Wright ’03 (45’ 0″) and Dave Fontes ’02 (43’ 11″).

In the jumps, Dwight Ho-sang ’01 took the triple with a leap of 41’ 5 1/4″. Rhodes Scholar Jason Stanley ’00 was the top Eph in the long jump, finishing fourth with a mark of 19’ 8 3/4″. And top pole vaulter Malcolm Perry ’02 won his preferred event with a vault of 13’ 6″ as he continues to improve.

Williams capped off the successful day with wins in both relays, starting with the 4×400, anchored by Rossier for a 3:31.87 finish and concluding with an 8:35.38 triumph in the 4×800, highlighted by a spectacular leg by Purushotham.

Next week the Ephs travel to Montreal for the McGill Invitiational before returning home again on Jan. 29 for another challenge at home.