Wrestling wins, loses and draws at home invite

After spending the winter break in Orlando, the Ephs returned to the Northeast for their first home meet of the season. The Ephs picked up a tally in every column in Saturday’s home quad meet with Brockport State, Oneonta State and Plymouth State.

The Ephs began the afternoon with an 18-18 tie against Oneonta. The Ephs were ahead 15-9 with three matches remaining when the Red Dragons picked up nine points in two matches to take a three-point lead. Tri-captain Dan Dicenzo ’01, wrestling in the 174-pound class, posted a 6-4 win to earn the crucial three points in the final match.

“It would have been good to beat Oneonta,” head coach Mike Whalen said. “A few things didn’t go our way and we’re still suffering from injuries, but it was really a matchup we could have won.”

The second meeting was a convincing 36-13 win over New England foe Plymouth State.

The Ephs notched three pins against the Panthers, including two back-to-back first-period pins by tri-captain Rob Quan ’00 and Sung Lim ’03 at 149 pounds and 157 pounds, respectively. Charles Danhof ’03 earned his second victory of the day after pinning Plymouth’s Dana Grenon early in the second period. Whalen was pleased with the team’s performance against Plymouth, which had been ranked ahead of Williams in New England.

Williams fell to national powerhouse Brockport State 39-3 in itslast matchup of the day. Brockport, ranked third in the country, jumped out to a commanding lead by pinning three of the first five Ephs they faced.

Ken Marines ’01 posted the only win against the Golden Eagles, prevailing 3-1 at 149 pounds. The win moved his record to 2-0 for the day.

Against Brockport State, Whalen was impressed with the performances of Marines, Matt Gunther ’00 (2-0) at 133 pounds and Danhof, who went 2-1 at 125 pounds.

With Conan Leary ’02 and David Roberts ’02 out due to injury and tri-captain Glenn Prichett ’00 not at full strength, six first-years wrestled for the Ephs on Saturday.

“I think that this is a growing experience for a lot of the first-years,” said Whalen. “Overall, we weren’t intimidated, and I think that says a lot about our team. These are the kind of meets that really pay dividends in the weeks ahead. This is great preparation for next weekend’s home meet with WPI, Trinity and MIT.”