Women’s track runs well at Dartmouth relays

The women’s indoor track team gave a strong showing on Sunday at the Dartmouth Relays in Hanover, N.H.. It was the Ephs’ first meet since returning to campus after winter break. “Dartmouth is a good meet for our team,” said assistant coach Kristen Morwick. “There’s a lot of good competition to push us to perform well.”

The team was helped by the return of several key athletes who had not competed before winter break. “We have a lot of our top athletes back,” stated Morwick, “and it really showed in our performance yesterday.”

Senior co-captain Tara Crowley, in her first race this season, captured third place in the mile run with a time of 5:09.68. Crowley, an All-American last year in the mile, commented on her race, “It felt pretty good considering that it was my first race of the season, but I still have a lot of work to do.”

Crowley led a strong showing by Williams in the mile, which included a sixth place finish by Katie Sharff ’02, who ran a time of 5:18.03.

Crowley and Sharff also ran in the distance medley relay, along with Rebecca Atkinson ’00 and Melissa Murphy ’00. The distance medley team placed second with a time of 12:48.03.

“Our distance medley team is looking really strong this year,” said Morwick. “We had to make a slight change in the lineup at the last minute, but when we put it all together later in the season, I think we can go all the way to Nationals.”

The Ephs also received another strong performance from Colleen Doody ’03. In her first college race, Doody finished a close second in the 400-meter run with a time of 58.70 seconds.

“I’ve been having some problems with my legs, so I could feel myself tightening up at the end of the race,” said Doody. “But overall, I was really happy with my time, and hopefully I will be able to improve it over the rest of the season.” Doody’s time was fast enough to place her as a provisional qualifier for the NCAA championships.

Williams also received strong performances from two other first-years on the team. Rita Forte, in her first college meet, placed second in the long jump with a distance of 17 feet. She also captured third place in the 55 meter hurdles with a time of 8.53 seconds.

Healy Thompson placed fourth in the shot put with a throw of 41’11.25”. Her throw set a new school record for the indoor shot put. “I had a really good practice on Saturday, so I had a positive feeling about the meet,” Thompson said, “but I didn’t know what to expect since it was the first meet back after break. I was just excited to break 40 feet.”

“Overall, I was very pleased with the way our team performed,” stated Morwick. “We had some freshmen really step up and do well for us. Sunday’s meet gave us a really positive outlook for the rest of the season.” The Ephs will continue their season with a home meet on Saturday against Hartwick, Keene State and Middlebury.